The Offer

(Sir Otto Luden, solicitor)

        Sir Otto Luden had read all the newspapers containing articles concerning the Rykindella Grand Showing debacle in the days after its occurrence. As for its ultimate outcome, four were dead for various reasons, including the infant Rykindella heir apparent. More had been hospitalized but surviving.
         Otto wondered what fresh trouble Dietfried Baugainvillea had slipped into this time after receiving a letter weeks ago from the old cad concerning the Lady Lydia Rykindella. What was it with Dietfried Baugainvillea and women troubles??
         To be fair, Dietfried was relatively clean these days, as compared to the 'old' days  when Otto was working as a junior partner with Sir Hercule Piedmont, the Baugainvillea's then family solicitor.
          Hercule had been only too happy to toss the more unsavory Baugainvillea cases to his junior partner.  Most of these would pertain to Dietfried antics, and Otto was really no more than a tool to keep the young man out from in front of judges.  It was a fine education for him, to be sure.
           Otto awaited this Gardonia aristocrat at the Leiden train station a week after the Rykindella Grand Showing.  He had never formally met her Ladyship but had seen her photo in papers for years.  The personage stepping off the train was not who he expected.

(Lady Lydia fresh off the train)

           "My Lady?" Otto said as an unsure greeting.  He bowed to her.
            The girl in the plain commoner travel clothes smiled.  "Yes, you must be Sir Otto Luden, Captain Baugainvillea's solicitor."
            "Well, truth be told, My Lady, I am not associated with the Captain, nor the Baugainvillea family any longer.  They have much more powerful law teams now.  I'm here to help at Captain Baugainvillea's request and as his friend."
             "Thank you, Sir Luden. I need all the help I can scrape together. I was not expecting to be traveling alone. . ."
              "There is no need for explanation, My Lady. I have been given word of your terrible loss.  My deepest sympathies."
            "Yes, and I appreciate your sympathy, Sir Luden." Lydia replied, as they seated themselves in Otto's motorcar, "I've had a week alone on a train and I spent most of that time grieving for my young son and my very good friend who were both scheduled to travel with me.  I will grieve more throughout the rest of my days, I suspect.  But I also made a series of notes of what I must do to continue."
           "That is extremely commendable, My Lady. I will help you the best that I am able. Your finances are in order at the High Street Bank of Leiden.  Annuity payments will be made available as Captain Baugainvillea recommended. Will this do?"
            Lydia nodded. "Yes, my friend Bridget, and I talked at length over money management through annuity but, I hope to be earning my own money."
            Otto glanced at her, concerned, as he drove. "Earn your own, My Lady?"
            "Of course, I want to earn my own now.  Bridget was so very good with numbers and finances. She planned to be an accountant when she got her education. I want to be one for her now, and plan on enrolling to learn accounting myself."
               "Very well." said Otto, having never heard an aristocrat talk in such a way before. Actually, he had, whenever Dietfried referred to his brother Gilbert, who had denounced his own aristocratic title after the war, and now owned and worked in a winery business on Ecarte Island.
              They drove along in silence before Lydia asked honestly,  "Do you find it unseemly, Sir Luden, that in my grief, I still find happiness?"
             To anyone else, the question might have been taken wrong, and that Lady Lydia's sanity might be on the slip, but not to Otto.
              "I do not find your happiness as unseemly at all, My Lady."
              "Thank you, Sir Luden. If I only had my son, and my friend. . . ". Lydia drew a great sigh, and turned her head away. "I would be full of nothing but joy now that I am free."

                         *.             *         *

A letter from Petrich to Fitz.

Dearest Fitz-
I have regained enough strength in my hand to be sketching, painting, and writing again.  Telegrams have their uses, but I find letters are best when one has the strength to write one.
I did not think I would ever be saying how much I appreciate acupuncture therapy, but I am now. It has been marvelous in the healing process, since the cast has been taken off.  Of course, Dietfried reminds me constantly that it was his idea.
Congratulations for the high honors given to you in Dresgorn!  Through your courage, you've been rewarded as you ought! When I visit next month, we'll need to celebrate!
I was just informed that I have been reinstated into the Justitia guild, but only through the unforeseen efforts of the Woxlichen .  I had written to the head master scribe of Woxlichen and to Gregor Rykindella's immediate family, giving high praise for Gregor's sacrifice.  It wasn't enough, as far as I myself was concerned, but Gregor's guild fellows at the Showing were apparently overcome with wonder that Gregor and I would have thrown ourselves into such danger that they insisted my reinstatement at Justitia.
I don't know if I even want to be reinstated. There still is no love between myself and High Master Scribe Morriss. I feel I would be doing myself a great disservice if I returned just now.
I have decided to go ahead and freelance for a time alone. I've already been given offers on commissions as far north as Machtig and as far south as Trouse. It shall keep me busy for the next few years.
As far as taking an assistant, I really cannot think of a better one than you! I am jesting, of course. Although you made a wondrous assistant, you make an even better police inspector. Hence, I shall leave you alone about that. Perhaps within these next few years of wandering about, I might just bump into the one who is meant to be bound to me, but I will not hold my breath.
I don't know if you'd even recognize me anymore, Fitz. I must wear glasses at all times now, not just for detail work. I am also sporting a mustache and dress as common as everyone else.
Dietfried is not impressed, he said I look like a nobody banker now, and he is right, but he also said that the glasses and the facial hair tones down some of the more 'severe' features of my face. Therefore, I 'blend in' a bit easier. I didn't know I looked severe enough to stand out in a crowd that much, but perhaps I do.
Anyway, I've been warned not to overwork my hand and when it starts cramping I have to let it rest. It has taken a total of two days to write this letter alone! But it was worth it.
Thank you again for all things you have done for me, especially becoming my dear friend.
Sincerely, Petrich

*. * *

A letter from Amelia to Dietfried (along with a parcel).

Always My Dearest Dietfried-
I am not aware of Master Hollenburg's whereabouts, so I am sending this document to you. Out of it has come nothing but misery and only feeds the wrath of my son. He grows mad in the loss of his child and now his missing wife. How thoughtless of that girl! So much so is her thoughtlessness that I find her dead to me!
It truly is unbearable for a mother to see her son in SO much anguish, so this document needs to be away from his sight, and out of our home. I am quite sure Master Hollenburg knows how to be rid of such atrocities.
Your Always Loving, Amelia

"It is SHE who has gone mad!" Petrich complained irritably as he unpacked the discarded parchment in Dietfried's private art gallery. "I am only too happy to have it back in my possession. My pieces do not deserve to be in a home where it is not appreciated."
When Petrich took away the last of the wrapping, it revealed Lord Jonathan's birth/death document covered in stains where Petrich's own blood had spilled and then dried. There was really no wonder why the Duchess no longer cared for it. It truly was an atrocity to behold and impossible to display. What good was it if she could not show it off??
"Might I make a suggestion?" Dietfried offered.
"A suggestion?"
"Yes, I say you ought to offer the piece to the Woxlichen guild. It can be within their walls to display the truly phenomenal lengths a celestial scribe will endure to protect their work. It will also, in a way, honor the one who ultimately saved you from a fatal blow. Don't you agree?"
Petrich grinned and nodded. "Yes. I do agree."
Dietfried Baugainvillea squeezed Petrich's shoulder. "I'll send out a letter of offering very soon, then."
"Thank you, Dietfried." Petrich replied, as he continued to adore the blood stained canvas.