The Consultation: Part I

(Petrich Hollenburg going home)

"A telegram for you, Master Sir." said the young servant girl when Petrich opened his door.
"Thank you very much." Petrich answered as the young girl's eyes peeked curiously past him and into his study.
Petrich stepped over to his work table and brought back a picture of an orchid he had painted on a small swatch of parchment. "Do you think it pretty?" he asked, holding it out to her. "You may have it. For your trouble."
The girl, who could not have been any older than 9, gasped and put her hands to her mouth and turned to flee. She then stopped and slipped the parchment out of Petrich's hand and curtsied before scampering down the hall, and out of sight.
Petrich chuckled after the girl and opened the seal of the telegram. It read:

Catching your train this afternoon stop Meet me for drinks in dining car at 3  tomorrow stop DB

Petrich folded it with a sigh of relief. He had sent a telegram by telephone just as soon as he could manage after coming back in from the garden. He was wishing on as many lucky stars as he dared to have Dietfried Baugainvillea reply. It was now the late afternoon, and Petrich had begun to despair.
Petrich wasn't at all sure if Dietfried Baugainvillea was in any position to be of any use, but if anything, he might could at least direct Petrich to somebody who could.
In his telegram to Dietfried, Petrich said next to nothing other than needing to meet him for urgent business. He knew at least that would pique Dietfried's interest enough for a reply. Now that he had it, Petrich felt a bit more of his confidence returning, after it had all but drained completely out of him over the last couple of days.
         Supper was a rather quiet affair with the Duke deciding to take a light snooze during the third course. Nobody bothered him until he woke with a slight start. The Duchess, Lady Lydia and Petrich graciously pretended not to notice.
          "What time is your train departing, Master Hollenburg?" Lydia asked, as if she had never a worry in her lovely head and was asking out of pure politeness.
           "8:20 in the morning." Petrich replied. Their eyes met for a mere instant, but in that instant, Petrich saw her fear and dread, but also a tiny glimmer of hope.
          "Such a shame, dear Petrich." the Duchess replied, forever confident in the very power she possessed over those around her table, "You only just got here."
          "In only a few week's time, I'll return for the Grand Showing." Petrich reminded her, "That will pass very quickly, for me, for sure."
        The next morning, the Duchess was the only one to see him off.  Again, she mentioned the upcoming Grand Showing.
          "I'll have you know, the plans for the Grand Showing are already in the works. It will be one for all the ages." 
          "I have no doubt about that, Your Grace."
            She stepped closer and touched his face, and gazed at him. "I must admit, in just this short amount of time, I am even more intrigued by you, High Mystic Hollenburg. I shall never. . .ever forget it.  May the Grand Showing reflect the greatness of your work. . .of you."
"Yes, Your Grace," Petrich replied.
          The Duchess stepped closer and delicately touched her lips to his cheek, but instead of stepping back, she said near his ear. "Thank you for saving my family."
          Petrich pulled away from her. "Your family will live on regardless, Your Grace."
         Duchess Amelia smiled. "Travel safely, Master Hollenburg."
         The luxury Sudan that drove Petrich from the train station to the Rykindella estate waited, its driver opening its door for him.