Chapter 2: A Pizza the Puzzle

I open my eyes and groan. I don't remember falling asleep last night. I open my eyes to see the empty bowl on my lap and the looping menu screen for the mummy.

Then it comes back to me.

Looking around I notice my curtain, that covers my sliding door to my balcony, is moved aside. Through the glass of the door I see Anubis staring off at the city, the sun sitting lazily on the horizon as it readies itself to venture across the sky.

I smile at the sight. I take a picture with my phone, not wanting to miss the chance for a perfect shot. She turns her head and smiles seeing me. Giving me a little wave, she turns back to the scene.

Getting up, my back, legs, shoulders, and neck pop vigorously from the very uncomfortable position i slept in. I then join her on the balcony. "Enjoying the view?" She smiles

"Indeed. It's a kind of beauty one cant find in nature. A beauty all your own. Definitely a different flavor than the gods, that's for sure" she says with a dreamy voice. There were clouds in the sky threatening rain. The city glistening this fine late summer day. It was a beautiful sight.

Anubis sighs and looks at the world. "Hey anubis, I was wondering something." I said, having an idea. She looks at me, giving me her full attention. "Would having a journal be good idea?"

"Why?" She asks, confused but interested.

"I was thinking it might be a good idea to write down your experiences and thoughts in it. It might help you transition from hundreds of years in isolation." She nods in thought.

"I see. I won't be able to venture out with you due to my appearance. I don't have the energy to shape shift currently." She says, her ears press against her skull in anger.

"I'll get you all the materials. Although I'm curious." She looks at me and tilts her head.

"Ancient Egyptian is a dead language. Therefore no one knows how to read hieroglyphics anymore." She seems to start to put two and two together. "Don't you know how to read hieroglyphics?" She smiles and nods.

"How about a trade?" She proposes.

"Whatcha have in mind?" I ask, my turn to be confused.

"I'll teach you the gaps in your knowledge of ancient Egypt, and in exchange, you teach me the ways of this modern world and to keep me alive until my immortality returns." She says holding her hand out. I grab it and we shake on the deal.

I nod and Anubis shivers. Her revealing clothes and the chill morning air left her cold. "Here, let's grab you some clothes from my closet. itll help with the temp." She nods and follows.

Anubis pov
He leads us back to his quarters. He stops in front of a sliding panel door, which he opens. It contains clothes of a wide variety of colors. "Here, we are. What to grab?" He nearly mumbles.

I let him go through his wardrobe, while I look at the room. it's a nice room, bland but there wasn't much use for wallspace other than for glyphs in those pyramids.

He pulls out a strip of... something and does measurements. After writing some modern glyphs, he goes back to attacking his clothes.

"Try these. He says handing me a bundle." I start to unwrap my breast bindings when he stopped me. "S-sorry. I meant in the privacy of the bathroom." He shows me a room across the hall, that had a spout and counter similar to the kitchen.