1

Author's Note
Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Her emerald eyes glowed, as she looked at the crescent in the sky. An appetite lingered within her—one that she hadn't satisfied in centuries. "Why do you still come here?" Wren looked behind her. Her eyes darkened, as the woman walked closer.

"It's a good view," Wren said.

"I'm no fool. Tell me, what's the real reason?" Wren redirected her eyes into the sky, as the woman stood beside her.

"It's a long story. One that I'm not at liberty to tell." Wren felt a tear sliding down her cheek. "I want to know what you're doing here."

"I followed you." Olivia reached for Wren's hand. "The council requests your presence."

"For what?" Wren pulled her hand away from Olivia's grasp. "What do they want now?"

"The same thing they always want," Olivia said. Her eyes lingered on Wren's shaking hand, as though a woman's touch was unbearable.

"Then, you should tell them what they already know."

"They're not asking, Wren. They'll come for you."

Wren finally looked into Olivia's eyes. "Then let them."

"You don't understand, they'll—"

"I've faced worse demons in my life. I'm not running anymore, Olivia. It's time."

"Time for what?" Olivia searched for emeralds but found darkness instead. "What are you going to do, Wren?"

"What I should have done a long time ago," Wren said. "I'll make them pay."

"Wren, they'll hurt you and everyone you love. You don't understand how—"

"There's no one left, don't you understand?"

Olivia pulled Wren closer, making her look into her eyes. "You have me. You always have me."

Wren's eyes lowered. "They won't hurt you, you know that."

"But I'll do everything I can to protect you, I promise."

Wren stepped back, knowing that no one could save her. "This isn't your battle to fight."

Tears fell from Olivia's eyes, as Wren walked away.