2

Wren shed her clothes and stepped into a hot bath. The steaming water soothed her own body's heat. When she closed her eyes, a set of golden brown eyes awaited her. She sunk herself deeper into the bathtub when the face illuminated in her mind. "Caitlyn." Wren called the name of the woman she loved. But she got no response. Wren attempted to reach for her but her hand fell when there was nothing there. She opened her eyes, tears pouring from them. "You'll never be with me again," Wren reminded herself.

"Who are you talking to?" A voice asked. Wren looked towards the door and saw someone unfamiliar. She gripped the sides of the bathtub, as the woman walked in. "Don't worry, I'm not here to join you." With hair of red and eyes of black, the woman handed Wren a towel.

Wren accepted it, holding a steady gaze. "Who are you?" Wren rose from the bath and wrapped the towel around her body. The woman smiled deviously.

"Wouldn't the better question be—what am I doing here?"

Wren held the edge of her towel, trying to think of what she should do. "I think I have an idea. Are you going to let me get dressed?" Wren asked.

The woman tilted her head to the side. "I like you like this." The grin on her face stretched with every breath that Wren took. "But I can't take you like that. Come on." The woman waved her hand to the door. "I'll take you to your closet first."

Wren tensely walked out of the door and towards her bedroom. "What do you want?" Wren stopped at her bedroom door.

"For you to get dressed. Now hurry. I've got better things to do with my night." The woman pushed Wren into the room. Wren stumbled forward. "Be careful, darling. I wouldn't want you to get hurt."

Wren gritted her teeth and headed to her closet. The woman watched Wren's every move, even when Wren let her towel slip to the floor. "Like what you see?" Wren asked. The woman half-heartedly laughed and tilted her head side to side.

"Hurry."

Wren turned and grabbed the first pair of jeans her hand reached. She got dressed, as she thought about her escape. "The people you're doing this for, they're evil," Wren said.

"Who said I wasn't evil too?"

Wren turned back to her fully dressed. "Doesn't mean you can't change."

"Change is for the gullible. Let's go, darling. Wouldn't want to be late."

"That's all I needed to hear." Wren clenched her fists. Her eyes darkened. And her fangs sprung.

The woman positioned herself for attack. Wren felt the rip of her skin before she could blink. She was slammed against the bedroom wall. Wren lifted her feet and kicked her in the abdomen, making the vampire slam against the opposite wall.

"You fuckin'—" the woman sprinted forward, but Wren's defense was stronger, banging them both into the floor.

"Didn't they tell you I'm not to be messed with?" Wren snarled as her fangs dug into the woman's neck. "Something to remember me by." Wren raised her body off of the woman and stood. Before the woman could react, Wren lifted her by the neck, tightly squeezing so that she couldn't breathe.

"Pl—lease."

Wren's darkened eyes craved for the kill. She desperately wanted it. But she was no longer that woman. She didn't kill anymore. Not humans. And not her own kind. "Next time, I won't be so merciful."

Wren loosened her grip, causing the woman to crumble to the floor. Wren stepped over the limp body and walked out of the bedroom, knowing that she had to find Olivia.