4

Wren drifted in and out of consciousness as the days went by. When a large man opened her cell and threw her over his shoulder, she wasn't sure if it would be her last day on earth. He took her to a room and threw her onto a plush, black carpet. When he turned to leave, she weakly stretched her hand out to him. Hope seemed to fade when he closed the door, leaving her alone in the gigantic room.

Wren pushed herself to her feet. She looked around and gradually figured out where she was. "Now that you've calmed down, we can finally talk." Her father's voice rung in her ear. She searched frantically for him and finally noticed him sitting in the corner of the room.

"Aren't you suppose to kill me already?" Wren could taste the stale blood on her tongue. It was her own blood.

"Don't worry, kid. That'll come soon."

"Nice." Wren clumsily walked towards the window. She looked into the vast forest before her, knowing that it would be difficult to escape by foot.

"I promised your mother that I'd give you a chance. You know how sentimental she can get."

"Mom's been dead for forty years. Have you been talking to a ghost?"

Gillard chuckled. "We've never seen eye to eye, Wren. But I am your father. So this is your chance to save yourself from what you know is coming."

Wren turned to him. She looked at the man who shared the same toxic blood as her. If only he'd let her die instead of turning her into a vampire all those centuries ago. "Do you really think I'll ever join your battle?"

His dark heart matched his soulless eyes. "Humans have always been the enemy, my dear daughter. When you finally understand that, maybe we could get along."

"I'll never make amends with a man who mercilessly kills humans."

"You mean you'll never forgive me for killing Caitlyn." He stood and walked towards her. "It's unfortunate that Caitlyn was a human." He murmured, "and a woman."

"You murdered her."

"And it's your fault." He coldly stared into her eyes. "That's what happens when you defy me."

Wren stepped back. "I loved her. And you took her from me. I'll never join your war. And I'll do everything in my power to bring you to your knees."

"Killing me isn't going to bring her back, Wren," he laughed mockingly as tears fell from her eyes.

"But I'll be at peace, knowing that I avenged her."

"Silly girl. Maybe you should worry about your new and somewhat improved girlfriend rather than the dead one."

"Where's Olivia?" Wren gritted her teeth.

"Oh, she's fine. Probably forgotten about you by now. I made sure of it."

Wren tried to summon her strength. But there was nothing left in her. She needed blood. And she knew that if she didn't get her fix, she'd slowly die. But that's what her father wanted—for her to suffer.

"I might never be able to kill you. But you have to live knowing that you're all alone because of how evil you are."

"I'd rather be alone than have a daughter like you." His fangs sprouted as he walked to the door. "I've done what your mother would have wanted. Now you must accept your consequences." The large man walked back in and grabbed her. Wren resisted. But her body didn't have enough strength. "Enjoy the rest of your pathetic life, my dear daughter."