3

Looking around the empty streets, Wren walked briskly. When she made it to Olivia's front door, she exhaled a relieved breath. "Olivia!" She knocked. "Olivia, I know it's late. Please open the door." Wren placed her hand on the doorknob. The door was open. Pushing it, she walked in and looked around in the darkness. "Olivia?" By the stairs, a tall figure stood. Wren stepped back.

"She's not here."

Wren's heart stopped at the sound of the voice. "You."

"It's been a long time, kid." The man stepped forward. His hand reached for the light switch.

"Where is Olivia? What did you do to her?" Wren felt the same panic as she did when Caitlyn died. Her fists clenched. And she gritted her teeth.

The man waved his hand callously. "Somewhere you won't find her for a while. As much as I appreciate you finding interest in your own species, Olivia and you," he taunted, "let's just say there's punishment for defying the council's laws."

Wren's fear turned into anger. "Vampires can be gay too, father. It's not a crime."

"Sounds like something your human would say."

Wren sprinted towards him, knocking him against the staircase. "Don't you ever say a word about Caitlyn." Tears threatened to fall from Wren's eyes.

Her father laughed. "I still remember the look in your eyes when you found out she—" Wren felt her arms being pulled. She was dragged off of him and slammed against a wall. Her father composed himself and stood. "You've always defied me, my dear daughter."

"If you hurt Olivia, I will—"

"I can't kill a member of the council, Wren. That would tarnish my standing." He leaned against her ear. "But I can kill you."

Wren struggled under the restraint of two large men. "Not if I kill you first."

Gillard, her father, chuckled as he grabbed her by her hair. "I'd like to see you try."

A large bag was pulled over her face and one of the large men lifted her onto his shoulders. He threw her into the back of a van. Wren shivered as they drove off, wondering if her own father would actually kill her.