CHAPTER TWELVE

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾ CHAPTER TWELVE ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙
the fjords of an skellig

   THE FJORDS OF AN SKELLIG WERE silent except for the wind rushing through the branches of trees and the distant sound of birds flying overhead

   THE FJORDS OF AN SKELLIG WERE silent except for the wind rushing through the branches of trees and the distant sound of birds flying overhead. In the distance, the screech of sirens. She could see them flying above a rock in the centre, a small thing that couldn't even be considered an island, they dipped down into the water for a few minutes and then flew up to the sky with a loud screech. Their hands were bloody, the water from where they flew up darker than it had been. 

   She had read countless stories where the sirens were monsters and men the heroes, but her favourites had always been the ones where the siren and lamias had once been friendly towards men and accepted the clumsy attempts of courtship from sailors. That was when she was a child had her eyes had been covered by innocence, or what could have been considered as innocence. 

   Now, as a woman, she understood why sirens and lamias held no kindling of friendship with men. 

   "Beautiful creatures, eh?" Her eldest brother stood at her side, the wind blowing his braids across his face and towards the water in front of them. His eyes were focused on the rock in the centre, the small inlet with sirens flying overhead and swimming around. "There were times where I wished to catch one as my wife."

   Her nose wrinkled in disgust. "Kidnap a siren for a wife?" she muttered, loud enough for him to hear her. "No wonder they detest humans."

   Fenrir let out a chuckle. "I didn't mean kidnap a siren, I meant—"

   "Catch," she stopped him from continuing. "You said catch one as your wife. Is there a difference between catch and kidnap that I don't know about?"

   He shook his head. "You wouldn't understand."

   "Because I am a woman?" She raised a single brow and tilted her head to the side as she looked at him. "You should understand, Fenrir, that it is because I am a woman that I understand."

   Fenrir stared at her, the corner of his mouth rising. "When did you grow?" he asked, voice low enough to almost be drowned out by the screeching of the sirens.

   She clenched her jaw. "When Father had the druids and mages experiment on me," she simply said, "or did you forget that, too?"

   His jaw clenched and his eyes hardened. "No." He turned his face back to the sirens. "I have been the only one in this family that has not forgotten how the druids treated you when you were a child."

   "Oh?" A soft laugh escaped her mouth as she turned back to face the small camp they had made the moment they arrived. There were only a few people in the camp alongside them, guards that had been too afraid to venture to the fjords of the isle but had only accepted to go the moment she stood by her brother's side with a bored expression and said she would go. They were men that wanted to prove themselves to Fenrir. "If you are the only one that has not forgotten, why is the very druid that tortured me here?"