Chapter Four

It had been a few days since Carmen's proposal and in those days, I hadn't received one phone call from my parents. Carmen had tried to call me,  but I was ignoring his calls hoping that eventually he'd get the hint and leave me alone. Thing is, he only ever called at night and I wondered whether it was because he had been drinking. I was enjoying my own company, and I wanted it to stay that way. I couldn't remember that last time I had a day to myself. 

I was currently sitting on the sofa in my joggers, sipping red wine and watching whatever was interesting enough on television. It was late and I did enjoy being able to watch over the city through the floor to ceiling windows I had. I'd hear the occasional siren, and then I'd notice the bat symbol in the sky in all its glory. Sadness drifted through me as I thought about Bruce. He'd be out there now doing his thing. I was proud of him for that, but I still couldn't help but worry. In the beginning, Bruce would come home from a rough night and I'd clean his cuts and make sure he was okay. I wasn't there to do that anymore and I wondered whether he was taking care of himself. My thoughts were interrupted by a knock at my door. At first, I ignored it, but then there was another. Placing my wine on the table in front of me, I pushed myself up from the sofa and make my way over to the door. 

"Carmen, if that's you, I'm really not in the mood to talk," I said and as I opened the door, I was ready to tell him to leave, but to my surprise, it wasn't Carmen. Instead, it was Alfred who was the last person I expected to see. "Alfred," I whisper in shock.

"Ms Montez, I'm sorry for the unexpected visit, but I just wanted to stop by. Mind if I come in?" He asks and I move out of the doorway gesturing for him to come inside. Closing the door behind me, I make my way over to the open plan kitchen. 

"Do you want a drink?" I asked, and I noticed that he was eyeing up my glass and the near-empty bottle of wine. He politely declined and I went back to the sofa, insisting that he sits. "Don't worry, I've not turned to alcohol." He laughed a little as he sat on the sofa opposite me. "So, what brings you here?" 

"I wanted to apologise for Bruce the other night." 

I raise an eyebrow and shake my head as I pour another glass of wine. "Don't you apologise for him. You have no reason to. If anything, I'm sorry for how I was with you the other night. I was hurt by what Bruce said to me and I didn't want either of you to see that it had upset me." 

"You don't have to explain yourself, Isabella. I understand. Actually, I've stopped by because I wanted to make sure you were okay."

"Why, are you both worried about who I'm associating myself with now? Are you both worried that I'm going to spill Bruce's little secret?" Alfred was taken aback by my comments, and I immediately hated myself for letting them slip from my mouth, but I had never been one to hold back. 

"No, of course not. We both know you'd never do that." 

"Perhaps you could remind Bruce of that because the look he gave me during Carmen's speech said otherwise. Despite everything, I'd never do that to him. I wouldn't do that to you." 

Alfred could see that it was upsetting me and he leant forward placing a hand onto my knee. "Isabella, we know that." I smile at his comfort and he squeezes my knee gently before removing his hand and leaning back up straight. 

"How is he?" I ask despite every part of my brain telling me not to. Alfred was surprised by the question and he opened his mouth to speak, but then closed it as if he didn't know what to say. "Please be honest," I said and he sighed, dropping his eyes to the floor with sadness. He took a deep breath before looking back up at me. 

"He's struggling. A lot happened after you left. I think that it took him a couple of days to really process what he had done, and what he had said, but when he realised you weren't coming back, he locked himself away for weeks. He didn't even go out. It's not really my place, but he is truly sorry for everything that has happened. He knows that he messed up big time. There were times when he wanted to reach out and talk to you, but he was afraid you wouldn't want to listen, so instead, he did what he knows best, and got on with work. He's a lot better than he was, but I know he is really hurting. I think it hit him hard when he saw you with Carmen."