Chapter Sixteen

(Bruce's POV)

Isabella was gone and right now there was nothing that I could do about it. I was so angry and confused, I wasn't too sure how to feel. As soon as she left with her father I put my fingers through my hair stressfully and paced the room.

"What is going on?" Alfred asked appearing confused. I couldn't think straight to answer him. How had he found out about his? What had he said to Isabella to make her leave? I was going insane not knowing. "Bruce, goddamn it, will you tell me what is going on?" Alfred suddenly snapped and I stopped pacing, and turned to face him. "There better be a good explanation as to why you just let her leave with him."

"He knows about Carmen. He knows what happened," I blurt out, and Alfred's facial expression changed from anger to concern.

"How?"

"I don't know. He must have blackmailed her to go with him," I rubbed my face and pressed a hand against my forehead. "I need to talk to her."

"Did you cover everything that night? Did anyone see you?"

"No, not at all. There is no way anyone else could have know what happened inside that apartment. I was thorough." I had done everything right. The camera I put in the room had been removed, there wasn't anyone around at the time Dean arrived, I don't understand how this could have happened.

"Maybe someone saw her?"

"But if they did why would they go to her father? Why not the police? It just doesn't make any sense."

"How are you going to talk to her? There's no way Harry will let you in."

"I'll have to go tonight. I can't go as Bruce."

I hated being the Bat around Isabella, but I had to be. There was work that needed doing and I wouldn't settle until it was all dealt with. I was going to bring Isabella back home, even if it killed me.

(Isabella's POV)

When I got to my parents home, I was ecstatically greeted by my mother. It was evident she had no idea what was really going on. Who knows what my father has told her. She was so happy to see me, but I didn't understand why.

"Isabella, honey, it's so nice that you're home,"she happily said. I didn't hug back and I felt my fathers gaze from the other side of the room.

"You've got a room set up. Luckily, we still had some of your old clothes so we've put them in there for you. If there is anything back at Wayne Manor then I can send someone to pick it up for you," he explained.

I didn't even show that I had acknowledged his words. It was very clear that I didn't want to be there. I could barely look at him.

"Can you just show me to my room please?" I bluntly asked and to my surprise, they agreed and I was taken to my room.

As soon as I was shown to my room, I immediately locked the door. I even put a chair up against the handle. This man had blackmailed me. He was only looking out for himself, that was clear. This man had sent men to my apartment to hurt me. He didn't even deserve to be called a man. Had he been blackmailed by this man because it threatened his role as Mayor? I convinced myself it was. Why else would he be doing this? It just goes to show that money really does talk.

Despite that, the room that I was given was lovely. It was modern, with a large bed and a marble en-suite bathroom. I didn't have my phone because my father had taken it away for 'my own safety'. I was that mentally exhausted I didn't even have the strength to fight against him.

I spent a lot of time laying on the bed and cuddling myself. I wish I could have slept until it was all over. After a while in the room, I decided to take a shower. Perhaps I could wash off all of the bad spirits I was carrying. I only slid down the wall though and sat on the shower floor. It was as if I was crumbling apart and all of the protective walls that I had built up were falling down. I didn't want to be here. I should never have left Bruce in the first place, then none of this would have happened. Carmen would still be alive and I'd still be with Bruce. We'd be sat at home right now by the fireplace watching the latest movie or just talking about life and our plans for the future. I wouldn't even care if he was out working because I'd still be better off with him than being here in this mess. Nothing could be worse. I sobbed to the point where I thought I'd drown in my tears and I must have sat there for at least an hour allowing the water to fall onto me.