5 | Math Was the Devil's Creation

Cover made by @Zane26 :) Isn't it gorgeous!?!? Hope you all like this chapter, but, fair warning, you might be mad at me by the end. We'll see.

***

Sierra's POV

The next day, I happily joined Ruby in her trek to the fully stocked cafeteria in search of breakfast.

"Just so you know, I got your little performance from last night on video," Ruby stated innocently, adjusting her backpack straps with a smirk my way.

"What?!" I spluttered, my hands starting to feel clammy. Although many people had come over to our table last night at one time or another to let me know how good of a singer I was, I still felt doubtful. It was just hard for me to accept that there was something I was good at. I was used to living in the shadows of others and rarely felt like I shined in any particular activity.

Yeah, my childhood hadn't been the best.

But, that's the reason I'm at NCIFA - to forget my past. And I am a very determined person.

"Oh, don't act so humble! As soon as you sang those first few words, you had the whole audience captivated. I don't think I saw a single person take their eyes off you! Except for me, of course, because I was the one looking for people who took their eyes off of you. But that's beside the point!" Ruby rambled happily. I gulped and tugged on a belt loop on my tight white jeans. I sent a prayer to God that the video never got out.

Upon making it to the cafeteria, I was greeted by Mark, James, Juliet, Cat, and Daniel. I gave Cat a smile as I slid into a seat across from James. Ruby sat down next to me and immediately struck up a conversation with Jules about last night.

The cafeteria was buzzing with the sound of overlapping conversations. I placed my chin on one hand as I took in my peers and surroundings. The place was vast and open, with lots of long, rectangular tables with a few circular ones in the mix. The walls were a light blue and all other furniture was a dark grey, which were our school colors.

I looked contently around my growing group of friends. I was glad Cat joined us today and hoped she would be with us more often. The boys had seemed to just accept her presence and recognize her as one of their own.

My eyes were soon drawn to a loud bang towards the front of mess hall, where Jackie sauntered in through open doors. The doors had slammed into the wall, drawing attention to her, as she had most likely intended. Two other girls followed her, and I swear the scene was something straight from the movie Mean Girls. Everyone was looking at Jackie and her whoresome friends.

Even Daniel, who had previously been flirting with a tall, gorgeous dark skinned girl, looked at Jackie for a moment. I noticed a look like disgust flash across his face as he recognized Jackie. Hmm. Wonder what that was about.

Jackie and her illuminati followers were strutting towards the line for breakfast, and I had the overwhelming sense to put my head down as she walked by, as if I shouldn't feel worthy enough to be in her presence.

Yes, that's the feeling she radiates.

As soon as they had walked away, our table let out a sigh of relief in unison.

"So, I'm guessing they're on the top of the social ladder, then?" I mused, looking at James, since he was sitting right across from me.

"Yeah. The populars. Their type is at every school. The slutty, rich bitches. Unavaiodable," James informed me with a snort.

"How high are you and the other guys on the social ladder? What's your 'type'?" I questioned, using air quotes when I said the word 'type'.

"Uhhhh..." James scratched his neck uncomfortably.