You Can't Change The Past

When I wasn't spending my time playing dress-up or having a tea party with imaginary people, I was out attempting to bond with people my age. Mainly with my cousin, Lily-Mae. Still slightly estranged from my family, I had a few family members reach out and share their enthusiasm about my divorce. Lily-Mae insisted that I should go out to celebrate my rejoining single life

"Here's to being single and getting fucked!" Lily whoos and cheers in delight. While I sipped my Coke, the others grimaced as they drank a shot of vodka. "Take a shot, Brandy! Tonight is your special night!"

I sigh and shake my head. "Oh, I'm not a drinker."

Lily frowns. "Come on! Just one...please!" Lily begs me. "I'll even pay for it. I promise!" She bats her eyes and then goes to pour me one. I just shook my head again as she handed it to me.

"No, I can't. Besides I have to get going soon."

Margot, one of Lily-Mae's closest friends since prep school, shot me a glare, I averted my gaze, glancing at the ground. I couldn't stop thinking about how badly my shoes pinched my feet. I bit my lower lip and returned my gaze to her. "You want to leave when it's not even midnight?"

I just shrugged. "Oh well, I have Charlotte waiting for me-"

"Who's Charlotte?" Margot questions raising an eyebrow.

"Brandy's step-daughter."

"Step-daughter!?" Both Margot and Odessa, another friend of Lily's friend, shriek and put down their glasses. Both their eyes widened as their jaws drop. "You're a mom? At 19?" Odessa says stammering.

Lily-Mae laughs. "Barely. She doesn't even have custody of the child. She just takes care of her because Brandy's ex-husband, the man we're glad she's no longer with, doesn't."

Brushing my hair behind my ears, I reached to grab my bag. "I'm sorry, but I really should get going. Charlotte and Julian are waiting for me at home." I try to smile ignoring the judgemental glances.

I was quickly pulled down back into my seat. Margot smiles slyly. "Now you definitely can't leave. Who's Julian and please explain the whole ex-husband situation."

Margot and Odessa sat on the edge of their seats with their backs straight. Lily even poured another round. "I can't be sober for this story. It's going to give me a migraine."

I had begged Lily earlier not to mention anything about my divorce or even Denim. Of course, it went in one ear and out the other in a second. I opened my mouth about to spill all the juicy details of my marriage and what happened, but I stopped. I pulled a blank. I suddenly couldn't remember anything about it. It was as though my brain had purposefully blocked that aspect of my life. "...Julian is just a friend. He's watching Charlotte until I get back."

"You don't just let your friends kiss or have sex with you anytime they want." Lily chuckles. She winks and smirks. Now she's doing it on purpose. I bit my lip. "Denim, the ex-husband, and Julian, the new boyfriend, are brothers."

I shake my head. "No. Julian and I are not dating. It was a one-time thing." I try to correct her. Of course, no one heard a word I said. "And Lily-Mae," I lean closer towards her. "...please stop talking about this."

Whispering, aggressively, she turns to me and shoots me a glare. "Brandy it is not that serious. Lighten up."

I thought that when I told Lily-Mae about everything that happened to me with Denim over the past couple of years, she would be more sympathetic and understanding that certain information shouldn't be told to others. She's practically my best friend and it hurts that she won't respect my decisions. "There is some sensitive information that I rather not be shared. Please Lily...stop." I beg of her as I bit my lip.