•Chapter 1•

Brylee

"Brylee, can you answer the question on the board, please?"

My head shot up. Oh crap.

The flower I had been doodling lay on my empty note sheet. I glanced to my right to see that Justin's note sheet was completely filled out. Not good.

Mrs. Pierce looked at me expectantly, nodding towards the chalkboard. Written on it was a series of problems and equations that I wasn't familiar with. My palms became clammy and my face heated up. "U-Umm..." I stuttered. My mind reeled. I was never good at public speaking, or speaking at all really. I was a quiet, shy girl, who had lived all of her almost seventeen years in a quiet small town.

I tried as hard as I could to remember what Mrs. Pierce had talked about in class today. We had just taken our test two days ago, so we were taking notes for our next unit. And of course today of all days I choose to let my ADD get the best of me. My mind was drawing a complete blank.

"Brylee? The answer please," Mrs. Pierce said.

"I... I don't know..." I mumbled. Mrs. Pierce sighed and called on another student. I focused the best I could for the rest of the period. The bell rang, and everyone scrambled to go to the next class. I gathered my things and started walking towards the door, when Mrs. Pierce stopped me. "You need to start paying attention more in class, Brylee" she said quietly. I stopped in my tracks and turned my head to look at her. Mrs. Pierce was a young woman, no older than thirty-five. She had medium length, strawberry-blonde hair that had a slight wave to it. Her eyes were a chestnut brown color and she wore glasses most of the time, today being no exception.

I hung my head. "I'm sorry, ma'am. I'll try," I said. She sighed again and nodded towards the door, signaling that it was okay for me to leave. I mumbled a quick "thanks" under my breath and exited as quickly as I could. Breathing a sigh of relief, I made my way down the hall to my locker. I put my math binder and textbook inside of it and grabbed my lunch.

"Hey, Brylee!" exclaimed a voice. I jumped and let out a small squeal, then whipped around. Standing there was none other than Thomas Zachary Shepard. He let out a deep chuckle, causing his blue eyes to sparkle. I had met Thomas when we were four years old, when we were both doing little league soccer and t-ball. We were quite close, staying friends throughout all of elementary, middle, and now high school. He had chestnut colored hair, and crystal blue eyes that sparkled when he laughed or smiled. Height was another quality Thomas had, his 6'4" self towering over little 5'6" me. His skin was tanned from countless hours outside, playing multiple different sports. He was captain of the varsity soccer team, point-guard of the varsity basketball team, and pitcher for the varsity baseball team. All of these high-ranking positions landed him as one of the most popular boys in the grade, with girls practically throwing themselves at him.

"Hey," I breathed, smiling. His smile increased in size at this. "So, I was wondering if you'd wanna do something this weekend, like go to the movies maybe? I know you've been wanting to see that new cheesy, stupid-as-hell chick flick" he said. 

"Yeah, it sounds like a plan!" I exclaimed. "Okay," he said, "well I gotta get to lunch before my friends start a witch-hunt looking for me." With that, he turned and strolled off. I rolled my eyes and proceeded to grab my lunch and close my locker, before heading to the cafeteria whilst whistling a tune that came to mind.

•••

A few hours later, I lay on my bed. Music pumped through the room, and I was about halfway done with my health homework. Stupid amino acids. I was actually in a nice groove. Listening to music had always helped me focus for some odd reason. I realized after a little that I was singing.

Cut it out, you're so embarrassing. You know you can't sing.

I sighed and got up to put on some more comfortable clothes. I stripped myself of my shirt and jeans and stood there with nothing but my bra and underwear. I stared at my reflection in the mirror, repulsed by what I saw.

No wonder everyone who you love leaves you, one way or another. They do it to get away from you.

I furrowed my brow and looked to my Bible, which was perched on my dresser. The bad thoughts left my mind as I remembered last week at youth group, when Rich had fallen during ultimate dodgeball. A smile creeped upon my face. My youth group leader, Richard Nelson, is one of the things that I am most grateful for in this world. He was there to help me through... well, through a lot.

I see him as a father.

Putting on an oversized t-shirt and getting back into bed, I gave up on my homework. I'd do it in study hall the next day.

Oh procrastination, my old friend.

I slid underneath my blankets. After getting comfortable, I slowly felt myself drift off into a deep slumber.