chapter 20

Both Greg and Amaya returned to their vehicles, the Owl-Glider once more carrying the makeshift bindle with the relics, and they made their way to the industrial district. Along the way, both checked out the features of their vehicles that the computer had informed them about.

“Turn invisible Gekko. According to the computer your vehicle can do that” Amaya suggested. Greg agreed.

The police had retreated, though Montague knew they probably didn’t go too far and were already calling for more backup. Possibly the national guard. So he had to hurry things up.

Just as Montague was about to pick his next target to make it clear he meant business, he saw the Owl-Glider approach him. Moments later, Owlette was hovering in front of the robot, but well out of its reach.

“Wise choice, young lady”. Montague made the Juggernaut stretch out it’s hand. “Now, hand those relics over please, along with the Night totems you and your friend have”.

Amaya however stayed where she was, hoping to stall time, and praying she was right about Montague not wanting to shoot her as long as she had something he wanted. “First, what did you do to Catboy?”.

Montague grinned. “Oh, he put up a fight, but it was only a token effort really. If he’s lucky, that fall in the gorge killed him instantly. It would be less painful that way”.

Greg, who had been sneaking up on the Juggernaut from behind, hit the brakes upon hearing what Montague said. Connor, gone? No, it couldn’t be. In the Owl-Glider, Amaya was equally lost for words.

“Sorry for your loss, but if you cooperate now I will make it quick for the two of you” Montague said.

Defeated, Amaya lowered the Owl-Glider so the Juggernaut could reach it. That was when Connor’s voice spoke over the communicators in their suits. “Gekko, Owlette. Come in please!”.

“Catboy. You’re okay!” Amaya cheered.

“I bet you have 9 lives, just like a real cat,” Greg remarked.

Connor was racing back towards the city at top speed. Greg’s remark actually made him smile in spite of the situation. “Well, I’m down to 8 now I’m afraid. Anyway, I’m coming to you. Try to keep Montague busy. We’ll regroup once I get there”.

“Got it!”. As the Juggernaut reached for the tarpaulin, Amaya prepared to unleash the Owl-Glider’s equivalent of the Owl Wing wind, hoping to knock the giant robot over so they could get to the hatch and the jewel. Unfortunately Greg, unaware of this plan, tried to attack the Juggernaut on his own. He drove the Gekko-Mobile at the giant at full speed, made a sharp turn, and smashed the Juggernaut’s left leg with the tail of his vehicle.

Although the impact failed to knock the robot over, it did cause it to suddenly swerve to the side, just as Amaya pushed the button. Worse, it’s hand struck the tarpaulin, and tore it open, releasing all the relics mid-air. The gust of wind from the Owl-Glider missed the Juggernaut but struck the relics, and blew them in all directions.

“No!” Greg, Amaya and Montague shouted at the same time.

For a moment nobody moved, as they all processed what just happened. Amaya scolded Greg for what he just did, while Montague finally lost the last of his patience. His face turned red as a tomato and if this were a cartoon no doubt steam would have come out of his ears.

“Alright…NO MORE MR. NICE GUY!”. Montague turned the Juggernaut’s energy guns each in a different direction and fired. Owlette barely dodged the ray fired at her, while Greg put the Gekko-Mobile in reverse and hit the gas to dodge the other ray.

“That guy needs to cool down,” Greg said as he pushed a button marked ‘Water Jet’. A stream of water shot out of the front of the vehicle and struck the Juggernaut, but the robot was completely unfazed by this. It simply walked towards the Gekko-Mobile, not hindered at all by the water, forcing Greg to back off. He struck the wall of the building behind him, but to his surprise and awe the Gekko-Mobile simply continued to drive up the wall instead of coming to a stop.

“Cool Chameleons! My car can scale walls too…. YIKES”. He noticed the Juggernaut’s fist coming towards him and sped away just in time. As Greg drove the Gekko-Mobile over the building, the Juggernaut chased him, repeatedly smashing it’s fist against the wall to try and hit the Gekko-Mobile.  Owlette tried to attack the Juggernaut from behind, but each time she got too close the guns fired their energy rays at her, forcing her to retreat back into the air. She once tried the Owl Wing Wind, but at this distance it had no effect on the metal giant.

Finally, the Juggernaut’s punches weakened the structure of the building and it collapsed. As the wall crumbled underneath the threads, the Gekko-Mobile fell to the ground, landing on its roof. Fortunately for Greg, the glass didn’t break and the Gekko-Mobile immediately rolled back on its threads. Before Greg could get away however the Juggernaut stepped on the vehicle’s tail, preventing Greg from fleeing.

“Gekko, get out of there!” Amaya shouted as she tried once more to attack the Juggernaut, but again Montague fired the guns at her and forced her to back off, while he made the Juggernaut raise its right arm to crush the trapped Gekko-Mobile.

Faced with the choice of either giving up his vehicle or getting crushed along with it, Greg was about to abandon the Gekko-Mobile, when suddenly further down the street the Cat-Car appeared from around the corner, still driving at full speed. Montague paused, his eyes refusing to believe what they saw. Surely, that boy couldn’t have survived his fall?

Connor, having followed the battle through their communicators, didn’t hesitate. While speeding towards the Juggernaut, he  first fired another furball, then immediately unleashed another cat-roar. The furball, given extra momentum by both the Cat-Car’s own speed and the Cat-Roar,  smashed against the Juggernaut’s leg, causing the robot to step off the Gekko-Mobile’s tail.

“Guys, quick. We have to regroup!” Connor ordered as he turned the car around. Greg and Amaya followed, both dodging several more energy rays from the Juggernaut.

“Glad you’re back Catboy. Now, what do you suggest we do?” Greg asked.

“Can’t we lure him to the Totem? We have more weapons there, I saw them on the computer-sphere” Amaya suggested, but Connor shook his head. “No Owlette, then we have to lead him straight through the city centre. People will get hurt that way”.

“But our vehicles alone aren’t strong enough,” Greg said, defeated.

“Not individually, but together they are,” Connor said. “Think of this as Master Fang vs. The Mountain Giant. Now let’s see, we better take out its weapons first. Gekko, you think you can reach them with the Gekko-Mobile?”

“I guess, if he stands still long enough,” Greg said.

A plan already began to form in Connors mind. So far the only thing that had any real effect on the Juggernaut was the Cat-Roar and its ability to scramble electronics, but even that wasn’t good enough. Unless….

“I have a plan, are you with me?” Connor said. To this Amaya and Greg simultaneously said “Of course we are”.

“Alright then, it’s time to be a hero!” Connor shouted. Amaya and Greg both cheered.

Thanks for reading
~Eleanor~