•𝕀 𝔻𝕚𝕕𝕟'𝕥 𝕂𝕟𝕠𝕨•

Kierra POV

I haven't talked to Erica since last night. She's called, but I just let them go to voicemail. I know it's wrong, and it's not her fault, but I don't know what to do. They say distance makes the love grow stronger, but they fail to say that there are limits.

My phone dang, and it was a text from Erica. It says:

"Baby, I know you're ignoring my calls. I'm not mad, but you can at least tell me you're okay, Ki. I love you and call me back,"

I signed then started texting her back.

"I'm going to call you, and I'm okay. I promise. I love you too," I sent.

"Kierra," mama said l touching my arm.

I quickly turned my phone off then faced it down. Looking up at her she looked at my phone then back at me.

"Mm, well who you talking to that you don't want me to see," mama said with a wide smile.

"What you talking about?"

"You turn your phone off as soon as I walk up. I see you...." She said, pushing my shoulder.

"Mommy," I said, laughing.

"It's okay. I won't pressure you, baby. I know you'll tell me when you're ready," Mama said, lightly touching my shoulder then walking towards the refrigerator.

"Come on, Ms. Secretive. We have to get started on the Mac and cheese." She said, talking out the ingredients.

I laughed then walked over to where she was.

Forty-five minutes later, mama and I are finally done cooking for our family dinner, and now I'm helping her set the table. Moments like these, I wish Erica could be here by my side. Not as my friend but as my girlfriend.

"Kierra, you seem like you got a lot on your mind. You want to talk about it?" Mama asked concern.

"No, ma'am, I just—can I ask you something?"

"Of course. Nothing has ever stopped you before," she said with a small laugh.

"Mama, when you would travel a lot. How did you not let that affect you and daddy's relationship? Like didn't it bother you that you weren't spending as much time together as you would like?" I asked.

"Um," she said, pushing her hair behind her ear.

"Don't get me wrong. Your daddy always supported me and made me feel secure in our marriage, but I allowed pe—myself to fill myself with insecurity. Your dad never said anything, but I knew he had wants and needs, and I wasn't for filling them by being gone. Not just physically but emotionally too. I told myself that he would find his needs from another woman. And finally one day I realized with his reassurance that when he said that I was all he needed and wanted, I was just that." She poured out. "That helped a lot when it came down to us not seeing each other," mama added.

"Wow, mama. I never expected that from you," I said, shocked.

"I wasn't always the person I am today, Ki. I did a lot of growing. But you have to find someone who will not only tell you but show you that you're that and more to them and vice versa."

I smiled at how much wisdom she has. Momma has helped me in so many situations without even knowing. I wouldn't trade her for anybody.

"I do wonder what made you ask me that, though," she said smiling.

I shook my head. "Nothing, mama. I just be wondering because I look up to you and daddy's marriage. I just want to prepare myself for anything that comes along. You know?" I stated.