16: The NO

Annabeth POV

After getting to know Percy over the past few months, I've realized that there are two sides to him.

He has two polarities, but you only feel one pole at a time.

On the one hand, there is Perseus Jackson. He is the son of one of the most successful CEOs in the world. Perseus could have any job, any possession, and any woman that he wants. He could be powerful and influential. However, I haven't seen this part of him until last Friday night. He keeps this pole hidden away; it's one of his many deep secrets.

On the other hand, there is Seaweed Brain. Percy is outgoing and sociable, and he gets along with anyone. He is also in dire need of money, and he needs it enough to take a stressful job with a mean boss. Seaweed Brain cares a lot about his family and friends, and he always tries to make others feel better.

Percy once told me that he does what other people want. That's his way of making everyone around him feel good.

However, no one asks him what he wants. I was the first person to do so. I don't know what to make of this.

In my opinion, more people should ask Percy about his life. He has secrets and hardships that no one could've imagined. For example, I wasn't expecting him to be secretly related world-renown billionaire.

"I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU HIRED THE SON OF THAT SEA-SCUM," Athena shouted. I sighed while turning towards my mothers. She's been yelling at me all weekend.

"Mother, I didn't know he was Poseidon's heir. His application said that Sally Jackson and Paul Blofis are his parents. I believed him."

We were sitting in the study in my penthouse. My home was too big for me. I know it sounds ungrateful, but it feels too big for just me. I want other people. Sometimes, it feels very lonely to be in my position.

"He's not the heir. Triton is older than Perseus, and he has been groomed for years. Even still, I refuse to have the blood of Poseidon in my company," she snapped.

"Do you know the backstory?" I asked.

"Why would I know about the personal life of Poseidon Olympus?" Athena retorted. "I want you to fire him as soon as possible."

"I can't just fire him," I answered calmly. "He is an excellent personal assistant, and I have no grounds to fire Mr. Jackson."

"I WANT HIM OUT OF MY COMPANY," she snapped.

Athena stood up from the leather chair and came towards me. I was sitting in a chair across from her. Any time Athena is around, I'm not the boss anymore.

She leaned towards me. Her dark hair came down in waves behind her. My gaze locked onto her stormy gray eyes. It was like looking in a mirror.

"You made a mistake, Annaabeh, It's your job to fix it. I don't want Poseidon's children anywhere near my company. FIX IT."

With that last exclamation, Athena walked out of the room.

I was so curious about Percy. I've never had a secretary like him. He genuinely cared about me. I see it in the way he treats me with earnestness, tries to alleviate my stress, and looks at me with admiration and respect.

I care a lot about him too.

My answer to my mother is a strong NO.

I'm not ready to lose Percy. I'm not going to fire him no matter what my mother says. I'm not letting Percy get away from me that easily.

Maybe I'm being selfish, but I don't care. If there's anything I learned in the business world, it's that I have to pursue what I want. If I want to keep someone like Percy close to me, then that's what I'm going to do.