Pinocchio Becomes a Boy

"I... saw the live video happening on the old twoset channel," his wife carefully trod on her words as if walking on glass shards. "Then I realized that you would be here because-" 

"So this is your wife?" 

Her voice was muffled to Eddy's ears as Brett gripped Eddy's shoulder tight, asking in equal volume. 

"She doesn't matter to you," Brett announced louder as if he wanted to flood the studio with his voice. "I'm sorry whoever you are, but I'm the one he loves now. Matter of fact, he always loved me. You can go on and get out of my studio now." 

"Eddy, come on, let's go home, honey," Eddy's wife didn't even flinch from the insult as she just looked at Eddy's eyes, almost pleading. 

"Look at me, woman," Brett shouted, walking up to her. "The only person your husband has loved all his life is in front of you. Can you believe it?"

"Brett!" Eddy called weakly, shutting his eyes in pain. 

"Eddy, loves, me." 

Brett looked back to Eddy with a fine radiant smile. The curve of the lips tells the poem, just like the day when they met at the math tutor, that Eddy's heart only followed one and only note in this world. Brett.

"Stop it, Brett. Let me talk to her in private-"

"Shut up! Do you think I will keep silent any longer? You said you loved me. You said you want to marry me. Now you are afraid of just this? You are afraid? I'm going to tell her about us instead of you. I will do the devil's work for you, what is your fucking problem?" 

"I said stop!"

"Aaah!!!" Brett shouted in frustration. "I'm your bride. I'm the one who was supposed to have that ring. Marry me, Eddy. Marry me!" 

The maddening hysteria stopped suddenly in silence as Brett coughed, catching his breath. 

"I love you, Eddy," Brett croaked. 

"I...I cannot," Eddy whispered. 

"What?" Brett asked back in disbelief. 

"I'm ... sorry, Brett. It is too late," Eddy slumped down on a flea-infested sofa, covering his face with his hands. "It is far too late." 

"But..we still love each other. We miss each other and-"

"Brett, I'm sorry," Eddy broke down, clutching his chest in agony. His body felt like shattering to pieces, falling down like an old glass window enduring the storm. Tears flooded down his cheek, landing on a dusty floor. Eddy hiccuped, trying to catch his breath through tears. "I missed my pills, Brett. I made you up. I'm so sorry."

"What..what do you mean?" 

"I made you up, Brett. You died in a car crash on your way to our wedding, eight years ago. I'm...I'm so sorry, Brett." 

***

It was a rainy day. Brett didn't mind it being a rainy wedding though. He liked the rain. Well, what he liked was having a hot cup of milk tea on a warm dry sofa, listening to music with Eddy while the storm was pouring outside. They will have the rest of their life to enjoy that though, and a mere rain couldn't kill his excitement as he hopped on a taxi, driving to the wedding.

"I might be a little late," Brett muttered anxiously to himself as he looked outside, the rain pouring from all directions. Suddenly, a bright headlight shone through the blurry window as the car sharply turned left. 

"Eddy-" 

This was the last word Brett spoke out just before the car crashed onto an eight-ton truck, completely demolishing itself. 

The world closed down like a curtain as Brett looked up at the sky through the flame and smoke. 

Now, he will be really late for the wedding. 

***

A live camera showed an old cobweb-ridden studio, cold and gloomy. There was an open violin case on the floor with the name, Brett Yang written on it. Inside the violin case, an elegant violin laid in it, the only clean thing in this wide empty room. 

"No, that is not true," Brett shook his head vigorously. "Why are you making up such horrible things?" 

Eddy slowly extended his hand toward his wife, who gently handed him an orange pillbox. 

"Don't take it, Eddy. Don't leave me here alone," Brett whispered. 

Eddy silently took the pill from his wife's hand. He closed his eyes and swallowed. 

"No, Eddy! No!!" Brett screamed. "I missed you so much, Eddy! We belong to each other. You know that. I'm the only one for you. You love me. You are lying, you love me still!" 

Cries echoed through the studio. Eddy didn't open his eyes until Brett's scream slowly muffled down, going down to a blunt shouting. A whimper. A whisper.

And silence. 

THE END

******

<Author's note>

Thank you for reading! Hope you enjoyed it. 

P.S. I was always a little afraid of pinocchio story when I was a kid 😂 a wooden doll that talks lie seemed quite creepy to me. How about you?