Part 19- Sacrifices

Becker's POV...

"What's got you so upset?" Cohen points to my white knuckles and I realize how hard I'm gripping the steering wheel.

"I'm fine," I growl back. Cohen throws his hands up in surrender.

I know I'm being a dick and Cohen doesn't deserve my attitude, I'm just afraid of saying anything I'll regret. I wish I knew why I felt the way I do.

When Greya said she was skipping practice because she had to attend a teacher meeting for her brother, something inside me snapped. She should not have to be sacrificing anything. She's so smart and talented, she could go anywhere. Life seems to have other plans though, which unfortunately involve her having to forfeit her dreams. So many magnificent opportunities are waiting for her. She's the one who could make it to Pro someday, but I have a feeling she's going to give it all up.

I'm not upset that she's taking responsibility of raising her brother, I admire her actually. It's when I think about all the sacrifice and suffering she continues to endure, it drives me crazy. Like literally crazy. I feel like I'm loosing my mind over everything. The fact that I need to go home tonight isn't helping my sanity. Jack is usually away somewhere from Thursday through Sundays, but you never know.

I spend the rest of the school day lost in my own head. Cohen and Declan give me the space they think I need. Hell, I don't know if that's actually what I need. I've avoided Graya for the most part. I know I shouldn't, but I don't know how to explain to her why I bolted out of the kitchen when I was supposed to be trying to comfort her. She wouldn't understand...even I don't understand.

During my walk to the soccer field is the only time I get a glimpse of her. Ari & Fynn are next to her car, all three having what looks to be a serious conversation. I wait a moment, watching them. They both give her a hug before she gets into her mustang and takes off.

I want to know if Greya is ok. I shouldn't pry, and I know the way I've been acting today isn't going to help me get any information out of anyone. The only thing I can do is run off some steam and take my aggression out on the field. That always helps.

After confirming Jack will be gone for the night, I make dinner for Alec and I and then head upstairs to the piano room.

I run my fingers along the keys, feeling the smoothness of them. My eyes close as I begin to play a familiar melody. I allow my mind to drift into the song and enjoy the calmness it brings me. It seems like hours of peacefulness go by until a faint knock on the door has me stop playing.

"I'm sorry, I didn't meant to interrupt your playing. You're amazing you know."

Greya standing at the door makes me speechless. What is she doing here. Fuck! Jack could come home and... fuck!

I hastily move away from the piano and towards her. "Greya, how did you get in here? What are you doing here? I frantically ask.

"Alec let me in. I'm sorry, I'll go," she starts to turn away.

"No, wait. I didn't mean...I... fuck!" She is looking at me like I'm crazy. Well I am.

"Sorry, Love, I didn't mean to sound so rude, I'm just surprised that you're here? Why are you here?"

She turns back and stares at the piano for a moment before gazing at me. "You seemed really...off today. I came by to make sure you're alright."

"I was being an asshole and you came here to see if I'm alright?"

"We're trying to be better friends, remember?" She kindly reminds me of my own words.

Now I really feel like a jerk. I look over her shoulder, out into the hallway to make sure it's safe before I motion for her to follow me into the room.