30

It’s Saturday, and I received my test results in the morning. I didn’t want to look at it, but I just had to. I really wish I could thank Dozie, but he has caused too much damage to my life. I had Bs in eight subjects, and got a C in one, which was Math, hehe.

I’m not the smartest, I was never the smartest, or the student with straight As, not then, maybe in the nearest future. So, the result cheered me up somehow.

Jane hasn’t left her room still. Aunt Rhoda has been coming to visit, and slept over last night, so did Fayo. While Aunt Rhoda left for work very early in the morning, Fayo was busy trying to get Jane to eat at least.

As for James, Aunt Rhoda suggested we let him stay over at my uncle’s house, since he and his cousin are pretty inseparable, he’d enjoy his stay there.

The house was extremely quiet, I missed all the drama in the house. Jane would have her friends over, and they would play loud music. Aunt Shade and dad would turn the TV volume so high, sometimes I would wonder if my house is really a house, or a market.

But today it’s quiet and serene, and I hate it. I went over to the kitchen to try to make my mom’s special coffee. I had always wanted to try making it. All of a sudden, I heard the doorbell ring continuously.

“Who is that now?!” I shouted in frustration.

“Clara go and open the door!” Fayo and Jane surprisenly shouted in unison. Their voices were kind of faint because of the distance, but I could still hear them.

I went to the gate and placed my finger on the thumbprint, making the smaller gate open. Sometimes it was so stressful not having the gateman, but the level of security in this house is top notch.

I expected my finger print to not be recognized, meaning my family expected I wouldn’t come back, but they surprised me.

Before I could even notice the people standing at gate, three women in expensive looking Aso oke rushed in.

“Ahan since when we’ve been ringing bell. Weren’t you taught manners?” A dark skinned woman, and also the shortest spoke. The way I was confused ehn.

“Excuse me?” I asked.

Escuse me?” The fair lady imitated me, failing miserably to do so. “Abeg who is this one? Where is Junior abeg?”

“Who are you people?” I asked, regretting I didn’t check who was at the gate.

“I am Oyinkansola Ademesan, call me Big mommy, these are my sisters, where is Jane please?” One of them said with a beautiful smile. No one needed to tell me she was the eldest amongst them.  

“Oh, I’m Clara Coker, I know you already know who am I by now.”

“Shade said she was sent to the military school na.” I heard the short woman whispered to the other woman.

I was going to be sent to a military school! No one needs to tell me that my dad didn’t allow that.

No matter how I thought he didn’t love me, he hated me going to those kinds of schools, he hated any child going there.

“Um…. Jane is upstairs…”

“Abeg who needs that one? Where is James joor?” The second woman said in irritation.

“James went to visit his cousin. He’ll be back soon.” I said and smiled nervously. “Please come in.” I said, smiling genuinely only to Big mommy.