Chapter 2

"Oof!"

Or it plowed into me. Either way, I tumbled to the floor, inexplicably losing my balance too much to stop my fall. What-?

Behind me, Millie squeaked. I looked up to see a man shake his head in irritation, straightening his shirt and brushing nonexistent dust off his shirt cuffs. He adjusted the silver circlet around his head as he glanced down-

Wait.

I gave him a once over. Polished boots, starched clothing, silver tassels, silver buttons, and a silver circlet...

"Your Highness," Millie uttered, and my suspicions were confirmed: I had just run into Prince Aurelius Ciel, the queen's younger brother and only sibling.

I blinked as a gloved hand was thrust in front of my nose. "You really ought to watch where you're going."

He sounded annoyed. I took his hand nonetheless, letting him help pull me up. Quite odd, how I hadn't noticed that I was about to crash into a person.

At least half a foot taller than me, the prince had thick, ebony hair - half of it slicked back, the rest of it artfully flopping across his forehead and around his pale, angular face. He squinted at me with his dark eyes, the same as his sister's, his mouth drawn into a scowl.

"My apologies, Your Highness," I said, letting go of his hand to curtsy. "I should indeed have watched where I was going."

Prince Aurelius waved a hand, brushing the matter aside. He was still staring at me. "Has anyone told you that your eyes are a very extraordinary color?"

"Most people do, Your Highness." It was true. In contrast to my dark brown skin and skinny, long braids, my irises were an unnatural shade of molten gold, drawing the attention of many. The comments on them were redundant, but I preferred compliments over people questioning why they were that color...

"I see." He stared a moment longer, then walked past us. "Quite extraordinary."

Millie blew out a large breath once he was gone. "Oh my, that was nerve-wracking. I can't believe he thought your eyes were pretty too!" She gave me an excited look. "You've been here barely an hour and already been complimented by the prince!"

"Almost concussed by him, too. And I wouldn't really call it a compliment." I rubbed my head, which was starting to ache more. "Well, I don't want to delay work any longer, lest I get fired."

"On your first day? Her Majesty isn't cruel like that," Millie reassured me. "Now, let's go."

Sienna didn't seem pleased to see us return, but the queen smiled at us. "The outfit suits you, Lydia."

"Thank you, Your Majesty." I wore the same outfit as the other two ladies-in-waiting - a simple cerulean blue dress with draping sleeves, a paneled skirt, and silver threads criss-crossed over the bodice.

Queen Seraphine stood up. "Well, not much left for today. Dinner in an hour, then I have a couple of papers to go over, and then you three will be relieved of your duties after I'm ready for bed."

"You two can fix the study hall up for Her Majesty while I escort her back to her room," Sienna said haughtily, flapping her fingers in my face. "Go on."

"If you would prefer that, Your Majesty." I instead addressed the queen, and Sienna scoffed. "Unless you would like us to come with-"

"I think she will be fine." Sienna stretched her mouth into a smile, but her hazel eyes were narrowed into an angry glare targeted towards me. "Won't you, Your Majesty?"