Chapter 13.

A/N: Lucky number 13....

CADENCE:

    I should never have gone in his files. I should never have snuck around his apartment. I actually barely remember doing it at all when I think back to it but it's far too late now. It's pouring. The streets are basically flooded. I'm alone. As I wanted to be. Harry doesn't know I'm here. I don't know if he actually does. I don't remember if I told him. I don't even remember leaving his apartment. I don't even know if that's where I left from. Was it the store? Was it my place? Was it his? It's late, but I know that she isn't home yet because I checked. I checked it again and again. Now that I'm here, I can go upstairs.

    She's loaded. Just as I expected. This place is just as nice as the place Harry stays. Nicer than the one I stay at too. I walk in, and I go upstairs, pressing the floor number, and going to the door I know belongs to her. I crouch down, looking at the lock, and then looking up. Cameras, all around. Maybe if I just pretend, and then... The door was unlocked, just as I had hoped.

    All this talk about her father, and you'd think she'd be a bit smarter. A bit more bright, but here we are. She is taller than me. She's probably physically trained in certain areas. I don't know what she does for her father, or what her father does, but I know that it has something to do with what Harry does. I know it's dangerous, but what they don't know is I'm dangerous. I have the gun. I have the knives. I have the things in my apartment that weren't meant to leave when I moved here. I didn't think I would need them but I've been proved wrong. I let myself in, and I sit myself down, taking my coat off, waiting in the dark.

    Then she's here. Walking through the door, seeming like she was in a rush to get out of the rain. She'll wish soon enough she was back in the rain. Anywhere I'm not. So stupid. Who lives in New York City and just leaves their door open? I sit, watching her, and she turns the lights on in her kitchen. She doesn't look up, not in my direction. She slips the heels she wears off. She throws her hair up, and she reaches into the cabinet. A glass of red wine is being poured. I love a good red wine.. She won't be enjoying that.

    "You'd think you'd lock your doors.." I speak out, and she jumps. Her voice, not screaming but gasping at the sound of mine. She turns and I point the loaded gun at her. Not harshly. I don't want to scare her that badly. I just hold it here, by my side, pointed at her. Her eyes lock onto it, and then back to my face.

    "Candace." She speaks my name out, and it sounds disgusting coming from her lips. I nod my head, and she sets the glass of wine down on her counter.

    "Cadence. CAY DENSE." I clarify, and she scoffs, a smirk appearing as I correct her. "Move and you're dead." I warn her so she stays put. I know she's been trained in this. At least I'd think.. Being the daughter of some high profile man in New York you'd be trained in hostage situations right? I have no idea.

    "Did he send you?" She asks, and I smirk.

    "At least you know he hates you enough to do that... But no. I'm not dumb enough to do this because someone else wants me to. I wouldn't do it unless I had a reason of my own, and you gave me that reason.." I hold up my hand, seeing it not bandaged. My eyes almost trick me into thinking it should be. She looks at my hand and then back at me, and she presses her lips together.

    "If you're going to kill me then do it.. He won't like it though. He'll hate you for the rest of his life if this is who you are to him." She tells me, and I laugh.

    "You really think that? You really think that he will hate me for killing such an annoyance in his life. Nothing more than a pest, a leak he can't fix. A creaky door that won't shut the fuck up. You have and always will be just a person to him. A memory. And he won't know I did this.. And if he does, he'll thank me. I can see it now." I tell her, and she looks scared. Truly scared. The other day she feared what would happen after he found out that she had harmed me. She knows deep down she doesn't stand a chance. She likes to talk a big game but when she's faced with a gun in her own home she's scared.. Like a little bird.