I think I'm in love with you and I'm terrified.

KLAY DENIES IT.

What is wrong with you, Maria Clara Infantes?! She pulled her knees towards her chest, placing her head down as Ali drifted closer to her. They are just characters in a novel, they do not exist!

Control yourself, Miss Infantes! She tells herself, groaning in frustration as she places her arms over her head. Slowly trying to ease the headache she had given herself from overthinking.Titibok pa ba ang puso mo para lang sa taong hindi naman totoo?

She doesn't want to acknowledge how the last statement hurts.

Fidel is.. a complicated character, so to speak. Klay may not have focused any of her time on reading Noli but she knows that Fidel is not a character from the book. He isn't mentioned, nor is given any clue from who he is. He doesn't even get a single appearance in the book!

Which gives her more the reason to be suspicious of his intentions. Her not being able to decipher what he is thinking, or why he acts a certain way. But what would reading the book do if you could learn and understand him first hand, right infront of you?

"Knowledge is key, but experience builds character." She mutters, slowly lifting her head up and placing a hand over her chin, gazing upwards at the sky above her.

And she does learn. She knows that he has a stick shoved so far up his behind, and his attitude that's so smug. A warm.. and pleasent- Klay, huwag mong ituloy yan. Annoying chesire smile that seems to light up whatever room he may be in. How everytime she interacted with him, she felt more at ease than with anyone else she had met. How their banter and witty remarks kept her grounded, distracted, from the reality that she currently resides in.

How she felt more at home, with his company by her side, his presence slowly being associated with the words, comfort and normal.

Uughh Lord, how could this be??

FIDEL WANTS TO DENY IT.

He knows that his admiration for the binibini was nothing but pure adoration. Afterall, Miss Klay was no ordinary woman. She may be a pain to take care of, but as he learned from her behaviour when he was with her was that she had inspiring ideals. She was compassionate, caring, and understanding. She had hopes and dreams, with  opinions unheard of.

He did not agree with her at first, talking down at her for spouting out nonsense. He even called her crazy once! It was more than once. Men were the providers while the women are at home taking care of the children. What more could the world ask for?

But there he was, stood infront of her, with his hat pressed against his chest as he bowed slightly towards her.

He remembers the events leading up to that moment. Early that day when he was mostly by her side, when he took care of her needs, when she was too busy taking care of others. How he caught her from falling, his eyes accidentally focusing on hers and lips that felt so close to his, he could almost feel it.

And when she saved Ibarra, how her eyes grew desperate as she attempted to give out an explanation, when she looked at him as she gave him her full trust, pleading for him to take her defense and believe her. And when people called her names, he was the one who still took her side, and explained the whole situation to the people of San Diego.

Fidel now knows that the beating of his heart was because of how his mood lights up whenever she was in the room. How his heart swells when he sees her smile, Though it was never aimed at him. How she helps others before herself, But why not help him with the ache that he felt in his heart? Despite how many times they may quarrel and banter, she still trusts him enough to share her problems where it is only for him to know and for her to tell, He does not mention how much his heart swells in pride with the amount of trust she places on him.

Perhaps Fidel can learn to accept his feelings, but for now, he will stay in the sidelines and stand by her side when no one is.