Blinded AU [4]

Loud knocking startled Bruno awake. He fell to the sandy floor with a gasp. He scrambled to get on his bandages before the person decided to barge in. He sighed in relief as he just got the bandage on correctly. The person came in.

"Aye, Hermano- oh! Why are you on the floor?" She came over and helped Bruno stand.

"S-sorry Julieta, you scared me." Bruno smiled awkwardly and rubbed the back of his neck, sand fell slowly from him.

"Bruno, can I ask you a question?" Julieta said, a serious tone lacing her voice.

Bruno nodded softly, he felt sweat collect on his palms, his nerves wrapped around him with a tight pull.

"Dolores hasn't slept, she keeps saying she saw your eyes. Did you show her?"

"What!?" Bruno squawked in surprise. "No no no, I would never!" He shook his head.

Bruno tried hard to think back to last night, he couldn't have shown the easily scared 7-year-old his eyes- lack of eyes.

"Alright, she must have had a nightmare.. poor kid.." Julieta dragged Bruno to the dining room.

___________

Bruno sat down on the grass outside. His sobrina dragged him out. Even though this fragile-looking man was blind, he could hear everything around him and can decipher footsteps to breathing patterns.

Bruno listened as Isabela ran around, the soft sound of flower petals falling in a trail behind her. Dolores was asleep in Pepa's arms. Pepa came over to Bruno and sat down.

"Did you show my baby your eyes?" Pepa snapped, a small raincloud appearing over her head.

"No, I would never do that. Too traumatic for a 7-year-old." Bruno shook his head lightly.

Pepa sighed as the raincloud dispersed. She ran her fingers through Dolores's hair. Pepa looked at her brother, where had the time gone? Bruno was a lively kid, shy to others but to his sisters, he was the most fun and hyper.

"You never let us see your eyes, why?" Pepa asked like always she asked.

"I saw what they looked like in a vision before when I was younger. No one should see it." Bruno finally stated.

Pepa looked at him in surprise, he usually says he doesn't want to talk about it and no one pushes. Bruno had never said anything about a vision of him without his eyes.

"You saw... and didn't try to stop it?" Pepa asked slowly.

"....." Bruno turned his head to Pepa.

"Of course I did, that's why it happened when I was 18 years old, not 7." Bruno swallowed thickly before looking down.

Pepa stared in shock.

"You.... I- ...." Pepa stammered.

Bruno fidgeted with the end of his ruana, an old habit he can't seem to break. The ends of his ruana were split and worn out, mostly at the bottom or the collar. Isabela came over slowly, seeing Pepa with a shocked expression.

"Tia Pepa? Are you okay?" Isabella tilted her head.

"Y-yeah.." Pepa looked at the concerned girl.