Chapter 8

Sky and her friends entered a cave. It was dotted with numerous multicolored crystals. 

Sky took a step at the crystals. Suddenly, the crystals sprang up, growing bigger and taller as they reached to the ceiling, blocking them with their crystal bodies.

"Wah!" Psychic and Dark yelped. 

"Come on! Let us pass!" Sky shouted at the crystals. They did not answer.

King Magnificent cawed loudly and King Skystar howled. The crystals shivered but stayed put. "Come on, we are the kings! Let us pass!" they roared, yelling in harmony. 

CRUNCH!!

The crystals shattered and fell to the ground. The two kings' roars vibrated throughout the vast cave. The crystals that were rising to stop them suddenly stopped and sunk back into the ground. 

The tunnel sloped down, down, down, and to... a big white crystal glowing with bright light. It was floating on its pedestal, which had a silver plate on it. The silver plate was carved with the words: The Quartz of Luck.

Sky took another step forwards. This time, no crystals went out to stop her.

The kings stepped regally into the cave.

Sky relaxed. There was a warm feeling in the cave, and it seemed to be radiating from the quartz, and into her body. She reached out, reaching for the quartz. It glowed blue when she touched it. Sky felt power thrumming in the crystal. 

Nature grabbed the quartz and tried to yank it from the pedestal, but it didn't budge. "Help me!" she shouted. Psychic and Dark rushed over and tried to help Nature get the crystal out. 

"Guys, stop. Let me try." Sky reached for the quartz again. She closed her eyes and focused on the energy. Suddenly she felt herself transforming. She felt wings sprouting out from her back, and suddenly her outfit changed to a glowing blue shirt and skirt with some white fluffy clouds moving across the surface. She heard the gasps of the other guardians, but she ignored them. She felt the warmth of the crystal seep into her heart. She heard a distant voice in her mind. 

"I am the Quartz of Luck, and you have passed the test. You activated me. I will now give you a power: to fly and have magic powers. You are worthy."

The power was fading fast, and finally, it disappeared. Sky opened her eyes. All her friends, including King Magnificent and King Skystar, were stunned, their mouths/jaws hanging.

"What?" Sky demanded as she fluttered her wings and floated in front of them. She was holding the Quartz in her hands. 

"You- you transformed!" Nature stuttered.

"Yes, I did. Now let's get this back to the old yeti!" Sky snorted. She zipped out of the cave mouth and soared into the sky. Even though she had flown before, she had never felt this powerful, this swift. She called down to her friends, "Hang on! I'll grab you guys." she unleashed a big wind, scooping all of them up. Squiddy squawked with surprise as he tumbled in the air. She rushed in the direction of the middle of the North Pole, back to the village. She expected the men to stop them again, but when they saw her, they backed off and bowed. 

"Let's go!" Sky rushed into the throne room. She landed gracefully on the floor, the others collapsed on the floor in a heap. "Hello, we have found the Quartz of Luck. What do we do now?" Sky asked as flicked her hand at the yeti, which made the quartz fly towards him.

"Well, I see that you've gotten your transformation, and you survived the monsters. Here is the next piece of the lines." The yeti tucked the quartz into a drawer beside him and pulled out a tiny strip of paper. It read: Search for the dangerous trapped creature.  

"In the upward ice, search for the dangerous trapped creature. Who is the dangerous trapped creature??" Psychic snorted, pulling herself to her feet and brushing off the dust off her knees. Her cats crowded around her, mewing.

"We must find the next prompt!" Nature and Dark yelled. "To save the world from the Black Cloaks!"

"Let's go ask around the village about this creature." Sky told her friends, then soared out of the room, seeking for the next prompt.