Kabuto

Part Three

Becoming One

Chapter Forty

Kabuto

May 4, 2010

Konoha's orphanage sat nestled on its outskirt atop a lush green field sheltered by several rows of tall pointed trees. The blue top, tan walled building appeared lack lust compared to the vivid nature surrounding it. Ino gripped the bird beneath her as it began its descent. She felt the woman at her back lean towards her.

"You sure you're up for this?" Sakura whispered, "you were in a lot of pain when you came out, and you didn't have a chance to purge."

Ino nodded.

"I'm fine," she assured her friend, speaking just as hushed, "the pain was gone a long time ago and I can purge later. There wasn't much residue in his head space. It won't take but a few minutes to get rid of it."

"Alright."

The bird landed and shortly thereafter extinguished. Both kunoichi dropped the handful of feet and landed gracefully. Another bird disappeared next to them. Sai and a masked Anbu dropped next to them. Pitch black eyes meet vivid blue.

'I'm okay,' she telegraphed to her boyfriend, hoping he could read the words in her gaze.

Whether he had or not, she couldn't tell outwardly. Sai was focused on the mission and his face gave nothing away, nor would it in the presence of the Anbu. Since his appointment to his mysterious position, he'd cloaked himself in a aura radiating staunch concentration and professionalism that seemed heightened around the masked clandestine group. She had a suspicion as to what his new job title was, but she knew he'd never tell her, and she would never ask. Had he been able, he would've told her. If it was what she thought it was, then it would explain his current detachment.

Or rather his show of detachment. She knew he hadn't regressed to that unfeeling shinobi he had told her he had once been during his stint with Root and the look he sent her way was testament to that. His glance to her had been an open question about her health.

The male Anbu at his side shifted, breaking their connection.

And just like that, the mission became forefront in her mind.

The orphanage was clean and comfy inside. Children played and laughed, stared at their new comers with awe and curiosity, though the older kids watched them with undisguised suspicion.

They were met shortly after by the man she'd seen inside the jubokko's mind. He ushered them without question to a back office. The moment they sat, Sai explained their presence and the accusation his girlfriend was leveling at the man across from them.

"I have no connection to the jubokko. Whoever you saw, wasn't me."

"You're lying," Ino told him flatly, "I know what I saw. It was you standing over that man."

The scaly man shook his head.

"I committed many atrocities in my life, this was not one of them."

As creepy as she found it, as much as it turned her stomach, his voice held an undercurrent of sincerity. Sai moved at her side and pulled a sketch book from his bag.

"I'm a Yamanaka, the best Konoha has to offer. I'm sure you know what my clan specialize in."

"Psychological examination and manipulation."