Encounter 4

"Bruh fuck her," Shay said doing a ghost inhale. I nodded my head in agreement before biting on my thumb nail. "Yo, you and your Hyde and Jekyll personality; now you're worried about the girl you just threw her out of your car and damn near beat her," she yelled

"I didn't say anything Shayla ," I fired back.

"I know you Alexis, I know you almost as well as I know myself. I know when something is bothering you and 9 times out of ten I know your exact thoughts on the subject," she sighed before taking a pull and putting out the blunt. "I'll be in the car whenever you decide to be honest with yourself and admit you wanna check up on the girl."

"So what's our ruse, how are we getting in," I said as we pulled up to the orphanage.

"Follow my lead," shay said hopping out of the car. I followed her to the front door and she knocked. "Stop looking so damn nervous, you're going to get us caught."

I took my nail out of my mouth and stuffed it into the pockets of my jeans. "Is that better masta'," I questioned.

"Girl I'mma-"

"Hello, How may I help you," a dark-skinned girl in her late twenties asked answering the door.

"Hi, are you Ava Rose's guardian," Shae asked.

"Yes, and you are," the girl said showing no signs that she was going to invite us into the house.

"We are teachers at her high school, and we needed to talk to you about her performance,"I shot Shae a look that I hoped the lady didn't see.

"Well that's funny I just got back Ava's progress report and she has all A's. What were ya'll's names again," she asked crossing her arms.

"Um," Shae stuttered.

"We never gave them to you I'm Alexis Casteelos and this is Shayla Nix. I'm actually a teacher at Ava's school and Shayla here is a banker at Financial One. I gave Ava a lift but half way through she got out of the car my conscience wouldn't let me sleep without knowing if she got home safe or not," I said not wanting to dig ourselves into a bigger hole.

"So what are you some type of pedophile or something, giving teenage girls ride homes," the girl said rolling her eyes.

I cocked my head to the side and grimaced.

"Look my girl here doesn't take kindly to being called a pedophile and its really cold out here can you just tell us if she made it here safely.

The girl bit her lip and opened the door. "Come in. It's warm," she said before walking further into the house. "I'm sorry about the rough treatment. I just have to separate the pervs from the decent people. Taking care of 5 teenage girls on your own ain't easy."

"I can only imagine, isn't it supposed to be a lot more people," Shay asked and I rolled my eyes.