Encounter 1

"Welcome to Walgreens," the clerk said as I walked through the sliding doors.

                "Thanks," I mumbled taking the basket in front.

                "Nice shoes," some girl said.

                "Thanks they're just Tims," I smiled back.

                "Hmm," she mumbled and frowned. I watched her as walked away. "Take a picture it'll last longer," she snapped.

                "Aren't you cold," I asked observing her legs in the shorts she was wearing. She scowled at me and walked away. I sucked in oxygen through clenched teeth and walked away.

                "Was that the great Lex who just got rejected," Shae, my homie, said walking up to me.

                "I know that gives you great pleasure," I smiled rolling my eyes.

           "Yup, I got the whole thing right here," she said holding up her phone. "The caption was gonna be my nigga doing her thang, but now it's my nigga can't get no pussy."

                I laughed loudly, "You a fool, get away from me, why are you here anyway," I asked.

              "In a town where every store is literally 1000 miles away from the other, is it abnormal for me to be here, or is you tryna mack on all the thotties by yaself," she asked.

              "You are aware that you used the word literally completely wrong," I said.

             "Thank you Captain Grammar, the world is a better place now. Anyway, you looking real good today Lex, I might get into Stud for Stud just for you papi," she said slithering her hand around my waist.

                "Really well you gotta get the penetration mami," I retorted.

              "And poof that idea went up in flames real quick," she said frowning and removing her arms.

              "If you two are done being gay we have other customers," an associate said approaching us from behind.

         "Who the fuck," Shae said turning around with a quickness. "Baby," she said her tone changing into a kind one.  I turned around to see if it was one of the girls I happened to know; it wasn't and at that point I didn't feel like getting introduced to someone who would be replaced in a matter of days, if not hours.

          "Shae, I'll catch you on the flip side gotta go get my supplies so I can finish up my drawing," I said. "Nice seeing you," I added in for the associate not really sure what I should say.

         I went down the office supplies aisle, grabbed coloring and mechanical pencils. Crayola wasn't my first choice but it was 10 at night and every craft store in the area was closed. "Shit," I cursed silently. I knew I should have started earlier, but sleep, TV, and lounging around felt so good after the week I had. I just hated that now my customer would get a second rate drawing. I sighed heavily and neared the checkout counters. "Would you like any help," I asked as an elderly lady stretched her body as far as possible trying to reach the top row.

              "Yes please, I swear I shrink by the millisecond," she chuckled.

              "It's no trouble," I said grabbing the Oreos for her.

              "Thanks, how tall are you," she asked.

               "6'1," I replied.

               "Unusually tall for a lady, did you play basketball," she asked as we walked continued to the front.

            "Um, yeah I played a little through college, got drafted, and busted my knee," I said scratching the back of my head.