Chapter 31

I quickly jump up and go to his side.

Damien isn't the kind of person to sit idly when someone he cares about is threatened. The fact that I'm that for him doesn't pass me, and the way my heart retracts at the thought. So long we've battled what this was between us, but the realization that it's coming true is so encompassing that I can hardly breathe.

'Damien,' I cup his face, making him look at me, 'It's not him.' During this whole conversation, I could tell that every new piece of information was like a new punch to him, but they had to be said, the fact they weren't said sooner is all my fault.

He only shakes his head like he doesn't believe me, so I strengthen my gaze, puncturing his, willing him to trust in me. I would know if it was Teodore, and every indication in today's talk with him said differently. 'It's not him. Please, believe me.'

'How can you be so sure?' his voice is a deathly whisper, holding in his anger.

'I am.'

We hold gazes for a few seconds, and when he can see that I am confident in this fact he finally eases. He sits down on his chair, and I don't cross my desk to the other side, I only hold his hand in mine and sit down in the chair opposite his.

Marco and Ivy seemed to have left, I didn't notice when exactly but they did. It's only me and him in the room now, and he's noticed that too. Because he looks at me like he's ready to worship me in every way possible. My knees tremble and I am suddenly glad that I sat down.

'Damien,' My voice is low and full of intention.

'I need to talk to you.' his voice is equally hoarse, and I am glad that I am not the only one feeling like this right now.

Slowly I nod because I don't think I can form any words right now, hoping that he'll continue.

He does, 'The organization talked with my parents,' he stops, 'More like my parents found out themselves,' he corrects himself.

'What happened?' I am still distracted by his lips, and by his hand that has somehow landed on my thighs and is slowly inching towards a place that screams for contact, but I'm trying to pay attention to his words. They seem important.

'They want to give me a promotion.'

I inch closer, 'That's great.' I try to sound sincere, but he only smiles when he realizes that I'm distracted.

'Pay attention, Luc.' he grabs my chin and lifts my face so I am looking at him. 'The catch is that I have to let Amor kill you and then catch Amor.'

That's enough to make me get back to the conversation. How am I supposed to react to that? I know how much his job means to him, and I know that finishing a mission is the most important thing in his life, so how am I supposed to tell him that I don't think he should kill Amor, that I don't agree the way his superiors think and take action. So the only thing I can think of saying is, 'Oh.' and draw back a little.

 Damien quickly cups my face, not letting me put space between us. 'I don't want the promotion.' he says firmly, my breathing gets heavier, and he only chuckles at my inability to concentrate right now.

Our faces start getting closer, and I drop my gaze to his lips. He's so close, but I want him closer. My brain tries hard to revert back to what he was saying, organization. Promotion. He doesn't want it.

'Are you sure?' I manage to get out.

'Huh?' he says, and I smile. Who's distracted now?

'Are you sure you don't want it?' I repeat myself with a smile.