Soundless Love - Part 1

Image: Rin

Rin and her mother entered her new apartment, which was located across the street from Rin's university. "Are you sure you have everything, Rin?" Rin's mother asked, setting down Rin's boxes of belongings from home.
"Yes, I believe I put everything in the boxes," Rin said as she slid the last box onto her bed. "Well, if you change your mind, I and your father are just a phone call away." Rin's mother gave her one last hug. Rin waved goodbye to her mother and shut the door.

She turned around to look around her new room, pondering what she could do. "I can't wait to find out who my roommate is, but I could write my story while I wait."
After a few hours of switching between writing and unpacking, the door swung open.

When the door opened, a young girl with brown hair and greeny-blue eyes entered the room and collapsed onto her bed. Rin paused for a few moments to consider whether she should say anything. "So...em. You're my roommate, I see. Hello, my name is Rin, and it's a pleasure to meet you." Rin murmured. The other girl stood up and looked Rin in the eyes. "Hello, my name is Emiko, and it's a pleasure to meet you as well." Emiko quickly lay down on her bed and fell asleep. "I might as well get some sleep..." Rin turned off her laptop and promptly fell asleep.

Rin's alarm went off in the morning, and both Rin and Emiko got ready for University. "I'm not sure I want to go..." Emiko moaned, still half asleep, as she searched for her jacket on the other side of the room.

Rin sat next to a boy who had a hearing aid in his ear when she entered her class. "Hello, my name is Miss Lanton, and I will be your creative writing instructor." A tall woman, who appeared to be in her thirties, began yelling names. Rin's name was called along with three others while the teacher was calling groups. There seemed to be two boys and one girl. The boy with the hearing aid was one of them in the group.

Rin stood up and looked for her group after everyone else had gone to theirs. She scanned the room until she found it. There was one boy with darker skin, one girl who appeared confident, and the boy with the hearing aid sat next to her. The boy with darker skin then cleared his throat.

"Hiya, my name is Taro." He addressed to the group confidently. He wore glasses and had red hair and brown eyes.
"Sure, whatever. My name is Emily." The groups other girl spoke up. She appeared to be a snob. A few seconds went by. Taro and Emily shifted their attention to Rin and the boy. Rin assumed they were curious about her name. She didn't want to be the first to speak up, but she noticed the boy with hearing aids. He was visibly embarrassed, his face flushed. She chose to go first. "Oh, I'm Rin, nice to meet you both," Rin mumbled, and they all turned to look at the boy who hadn't said anything.

For a while, he sat frozen. "...I'm Max."
"Okay, cool. Should we get started on the project? I was thinking about doing a space story!" Taro spoke with pleasure in his eyes.

• Part 2 coming soon •