Howling Wind

Wind carries you off

Moon whispers its silent farewell

I watch, feeling still

He follows Ogiwara without emitting any sound, save for his soft breathing. This way, his brother knows he is still close behind.

They should reach the lake soon, yet it feels like they have been walking for an eternity. Tetsuya's mind is still concocting words to thwart Ogiwara's wish, but he knows deep down that none of his persuasion abilities will work on him.

"The moon is blessing us tonight," Ogiwara says, his robe flapping as he tries to be jolly. He is always jolly, but Tetsuya knows when he is faking it. To confirm this, he stares him straight in the eye. As he expected, Ogiwara averts his gaze and focuses on the wooden bridge they are now crossing.

Huge, dense trees loom around them, as if they are listening and wondering what he will do next. When the wind starts howling again, his amusing musings are quickly interrupted. As it blows eastward, Tetsuya watches the plume of steam in front of Ogiwara disperse like a spirit.

A shiver traces his skin, and he does not understand why.

Petals bloom on the lake, unaffected by the wind. Pale blue and pink swirl in a perfect circle, and the moon helps to bring out their beauty.

The lake glitters underneath the stars, reflecting the light of the full moon as it dances amongst the waves. The surface is calm, undisturbed even by the smallest movements of the water.

It's so peaceful, yet it only adds to Tetsuya's already overwhelming feelings of anxiety.

The large stone lantern that guides whoever visits the lake cannot withstand the wind, and so the fire in it shudders until it flicks out, hissing like a snake.

"I know what you are thinking," Ogiwara says. He yanks his robe tighter against his body. When he drops his hands, the little bell in his hand jingles. "What should I say to change his mind? How could he do this to me? Isn't he my brother from another mother? Why is he making it hard for me?"

If the situation were any lighter, Tetsuya might have laughed, but he finds himself too exhausted to even try.

"Have no fear, dear brother; I will not be a burden to you. In fact, as I have already stated, I will protect you." Ogiwara turns to face him, offering him the sweetest grin. The only pure smile Tetsuya has ever known. As a pariah, once he finishes his duties, no one speaks to him unless absolutely necessary. Every servant, including the guards, ignores him. Not that he allows them anyway. He is thankful he has developed the ability to blend into the background.

Tonight, he regrets it. He regrets everything. If only he hadn't developed such an ability, perhaps the Crown Prince would have never noticed him. It should have stayed that way. His stomach, once again, churns. It is a tight knot, and if he exhales more, he might collapse. He does adore Akashi Seijuro, and his gratitude is not to be questioned. But he loves his brother dearly, more than anyone.

Ogiwara thinks he is only going there as a Dancer. If he only knew...

I'm going to put his life in danger. He wants to shout, to tell him the truth. But he also knows that his brother is not good at keeping secrets. Not that he spills everything. His face is straightforward, and anyone with a keen eye can tell whether Ogiwara is telling the truth or not.

Without saying a word, Tetsuya runs towards him and embraces him. He buries his face on Ogiwara's shoulder, inhaling his scent. Burnt incense, sweat, and mismatched oils all linger on his brother's skin, but they all provide comfort. Because they are Ogiwara. And Ogiwara is home.