The Crossing

Lotus in glass gleams

Ignites stillness, blooms anew

Dancers' silent hymn  

"I have chosen the most beautiful lotus. Do you not all agree?" Mibuchi Reo, the Dancers' handler, presents the shell-pink lotus encased in a crystal box. "We shall burn this at the first rays of dawn. That way, the Found Mothers' blessings will light our path." He approaches his right-hand, Haizaki Shougo, and gives him the lotus. "Do make sure that it stays bright. Do not lay it beside the candles. We do not want to burn it before the ceremony now, do we?"

Haizaki bows with exaggerated deference before scurrying away, his dark eyes glinting with barely hidden resentment. Shigehiro would have laughed if his voice wasn't so loud. He barely speaks to the charcoal-haired boy, but he knows how brusque he truly is. Only the gods know why Mibuchi has chosen him over Kuroko.

"Now," Mibuchi croons, his long, razor-sharp nails peeking through the cuffs of his lavish mauve tunic. "I'm told some of you non-Dancers shall join us on this sacred journey." His dark, heavy-lidded eyes caress the gathered brothers and sisters with an unsettling fondness that sends a chill down Shigehiro's spine. "As much as I value your devotion to your blessed kin, ensuring your well-being is not my responsibility, dear ones. I am but one humble servant." Though his tone remains sympathetic, the small smile tugging at his lips betrays the serpentine truth: he cares not a whit for their fates. "Please understand that I bear no culpability should... misfortune befall any of you along the way."

If he had been more sensitive, he would have expressed his legitimate concern, but he is Shigehiro, and he is used to such treatment. Besides, Mibuchi is right. He is the handler of the Dancers, not of their families.

Shigehiro cranes his neck and finds Kuroko staring right back at him. He shivers. He should be used to it by now, but from time to time, his brother surprises him and, dare he say, unsettles him. Perhaps it is the blank stare, as though he has been gone for so long that only his body remains with them. Perhaps it's the way he looks at people, as if he can read their minds. Either way, Shigehiro is not sure if he wants to be caught in it. It feels like he might get sucked away and drown in those cold, sea-blue eyes if he doesn't look away.

With a quick, fleeting smile, Kuroko nods at him, and the disturbance that has pricked his skin vanishes instantly.

A few hours ago, Shigehiro had woken up, just in time before they had been called to assemble in the Moonlight building. He couldn't help but notice that Kuroko was gone. When he asked Haizaki the whereabouts of the Dancer, the boy simply sneered at him.

"Lord Chen should've scourged you," Haizaki said as he led the way.

Now, he looks at Kuroko, who is dressed in a ceremonial green tunic. He has seen it before. The sleeves are encircled with lotus motifs. It features shorter words for their prayers to the Found Mothers and Lotus Lady on the back. Since their prayers are quite complicated for someone like him, Shigehiro has never concerned himself with learning how to read them. His God is Kang'e, and he would never dare to displease her.

🥀

Those who do not dance for the Royal Family must wait behind the red pillars. Due to their monstrous size, Shigehiro cannot fully see the ceremony. He can smell the burning incense and hear their soft chanting ("Bless ye who dance with the wind. Bless ye who kneel. Lost Mothers, give us your tears. Found Mothers, guide our way...").

The Moonlight edifice is solely used for and by the Dancers. Whether they are asked to strip and be inspected thoroughly or to pray for their sins, no other pomps are permitted to be conducted here.