Chapter 6

"Lord governor kahinka! Akdu (arrogant)! Kitna mana kiya phir bhi chale gaye. Kisi ki toh baat Sunne ki aadat ho tabhi na. I knew he would do this and that's why I asked him not to go. But why would he care? 'What will I do even if I stay Khushi? It's your day. Everyone did mention that it was a ladies' function after all.' As if I made the baby all alone! Just because he has the support of Amma—

While Khushi was busy with her ranting, unknown to her, Arnav had come back and was casually standing at the slightly ajar entrance to her room, arms folded, while he listened to her with a smile.

"What are you on about? Are you talking to yourself?" Garima asked as she reached the room carrying with her a tray full of shagun. She heard before she saw and stopped short seeing Arnav there. Payal stood with her carrying another tray with similar stuff.

"Damadji..." When Arnav shushed her with a quiet finger to his lips, the ladies stopped to listen and slowly Garima asked Arnav, "Kiski burayi kar rahi hai? Who is she talking about?"

"Me."

Garima gasped. Payal chuckled.

"What? Khu—

"Wait."

"But she needs to get ready. We have to start before we lose the auspicious time." Garima was the very picture of a woman who had the entire house on her head. Taking care of every minute detail was her responsibility.

"You give it to me," Arnav asked extending his hands.

"Par aap—

"Aunty your son-in-law is India's best designer," Payal said.

Garima was at a loss for words. She also blushed feeling really embarrassed.

"Par—

Payal put the tray she was carrying onto the table just inside Khushi's room and turned to grab the one Garima was holding.

"We only have half an hour before we start. Woh...it is important to do things during the muhurat."

Garima didn't know what to say but Payal understood her hesitation and said, "you are so cute aunty. It will be done, don't worry. Arnav is very responsible. Hai na?" She eyed Arnav mischievously and started walking back taking Garima with her.

Khushi who finally got finished with her monologue, realized the sounds coming from the door to her room and turned around just in time to watch Payal and her mother walk away.

"What happened? Where are they going?"

"No idea, he shrugged. There must be something that needs their attention."

"But I? I have to get ready. Where are my things? I can't do everything by myself. I can't even look down and see my feet. Arnavji, call them back—

She had by now reached the door and would have looked out herself but stopped short at the door realizing she was clad only in her blouse and under skirt at the same time Arnav stopped her with a "Kya kar rahi ho?" giving her an overall.

She puffed. "I wouldn't have left the room. Arnavji, please call them. One of them must be free. Di? Preeto?"

"Khushi. Main hoon na?"

"Aap?" She asked, her demeanour confused before she realized. She glared. "You call them back. I don't want to have anything to do with you."

"What did I do now?"

"Time dekha? Did you see the time?"

"Dekha na. (Yes I did). Khushi, I'm on time. The function hasn't even begun yet. You are only just getting ready. And yet here I am even though everyone repeatedly says I'm not even needed."