15. In Person

Jake

My phone call with Oryn was cut short when I realized someone was close to finding me. I had to escape the little motel I was hiding in. I packed everything important but had to leave some things behind. I threw myself out in the streets of Colville.

After Lilly's video, my pursuers managed to track me down. They were closer than I anticipated. It wouldn't have been wise of me to go to Duskwood as it was probably the place they would expect me to go. Which is why I decided to do just that. They would assume that I would make a wiser decision. There was only one motel in Duskwood, which meant that if I misjudge them again, I would be caught. But it was a risk I was willing to take.

While on the run, I had no opportunities to get in touch with Oryn. I kept thinking about her, the more I thought the more I hated the idea of getting caught.

I started to make my way to the bus station when a billboard caught my eye. "#IamJake!" I read. There was someone with a mask posing on it. At first, I didn't give much thought to it. Jake was a common name. A couple walking by was talking about saving Jake. I listened to them for a bit. They were talking about Lilly's video. I realized I was that Jake. I entered the subway only to find some youngsters filming videos saying they are Jake. Someone already wrote it on the train. Another person was tweeting about it. It was overwhelming in a good way. "Oryn..." I thought. She did this. She was helping me. It gave me hope once again. We were not going to make it easy for my pursuers. For once, I was not alone.

Eventually, I found someone going to Duskwood. I paid them more than necessary and told them that my father was ill. I was going to be there tonight. My phone buzzed. It was a notification from Nym-os. Someone was trying to access Oryn's phone. They probably assumed I was with her. I uploaded Nym-os to her phone and her computer when I first hacked her. I knew it sounded bad but I was trying to protect her. This time they tried to access her location. That was a bit weird as I assumed they already cracked the computer I had to leave behind. That one had access to Oryn's outdoor cameras and her location. So, where was she? They assumed I was with her, which meant they had no clue where I was. This was good considering I would be in Duskwood in an hour.

I arrived at Duskwood. Nym-os was constantly notifying me of attacks. I found a secluded place right next to Rainbow Cafe and took my laptop out. Nym-os was blocking them but I had to be active to make sure nothing happened. I was definitely getting coffee after this. I kept thinking about her. More specifically why they couldn't locate her. It made sense that she left her house after everything but I didn't want her to come to Duskwood. It was too dangerous for her to be here, especially now that the culprit was getting physical. I was about to check her location when my pursuers tried to access her camera. Nym-os fell short and I had to take care of it.

After some struggle, I managed to deflect the attackers. I made sure both of our phones were secure then I texted her.

Jake: Hello Oryn.

Oryn: Jake! Did you just deflect those hackers?

Jake: Yes, I stopped them at the very last second. I am really sorry Oryn.

Oryn: I was so worried.

Jake: This is all my fault. Nymos informed me. They tried to find your location. You weren't home I guess.

Oryn: Yeah, about that...

Jake: As long as you are not in Duskwood it is okay. Promise me you won't go to Duskwood.

Oryn wrote and deleted something a couple of times. I was getting worried.

Oryn: I promise...

I let go of the breath I didn't even realize I was holding. I wanted to explain the situation but I also desperately needed a coffee. I packed my laptop, pulled up my hoodie, and started walking to the Rainbow Cafe while writing what happened.