004.

You Had One Job

❝ great responsibility ❞

EARTH-199999

"That is the most stupid and ridiculous thing to ever occur in the history of ever," Zoe Monat, a red headed senior at Midtown Science and Technology, told her best friend. She sat in his temporary apartment as they ignored all of the shouting from outside. The apartment was owned by their good friend Happy Hogan.

"I know, right?" Peter Parker, a brown-haired boy with a Queen's accent, agreed. "I know you're no longer in college, but even so you realize how ridiculous it is for them to punish MJ and Ned?"

"Yeah, I'm really sorry, Pete," Zoe apologized.

"You know I hate it when you call me that," Peter complained, lightly hitting his best friend.

The two teenagers had been through a lot together. Both being a part of the world's mightiest heroes, the Avengers, they had to learn to lie early on. Peter was the famous Spider-Man, and now that his identity had been revealed, it made things a lot harder. When he was only 15 he was bitten by a radioactive spider that gave him super strength and a lot of other things. Now as an 18 year old about to go out into a world that hates him, he relies on his closest Avenger friend.

Zoe took on the mantle of Nova after her mentor Agent Joey Slater retired. Though she didn't quite have the Inhuman powers that Agent Slater had, she did have her own set of Inhuman powers. Given to her by accident while helping Agent Fitz out in their laboratory, Zoe received invisibility powers through Terragenesis. Now an official Avenger after the battle that went down to stop Thanos, she held the superhero title, despite her identity still remaining.

Zoe, unlike her spider best friend, hadn't snapped away for five years and had gone on with her life after those who were snapped faded away. She was now five years older than her best friend, whereas he used to be older than her by a few months.

"So what are you gonna do?" Zoe asked, her eyebrows raising. She sipped on the hot chocolate Peter had given her.

"Well, I was thinking you could help me convince Dr. Strange to reverse time and make everyone forget that I'm Spider-Man.." Peter began hesitantly, preparing for his idea to be thrown back at his face.

"Absolutely not!" Zoe gasped. Peter sighed, putting his hand to his head. "First of all, do you know how incredibly stupid meddling with time is? Second, Dr. Strange doesn't even have the Time Stone anymore. And third, what makes you think Dr. Strange will even listen to you?"

"That's why I'm asking you to come with me," Peter argued. "He'll listen to you!"

"Why? Because I confronted him when I was sixteen to try and bring Joey back?" Zoe asked bluntly. She had to be torn apart from her mentor when Joey and her team were sent to the future.  "Just because I've known him longer than you have, doesn't mean he'll listen to me, Peter."