Reputation

We walked out of the arcade laughing, our arms linked together. As soon as I stepped outside, I was pulled away with a jolt. I looked up and Steve was holding tightly onto my arm.

"Ow, Steve, what the hell?" I jerked away from him, readjusting my clothes. I looked over as Max was being pushed away by her brother, her back facing towards me as she got in the car.

Steve started to the car and I followed after him as quickly as I could.

"What was that for?" I raised my voice.

"You have to stay away from her." He raised his voice too.

"Why?"

"Her family is bad news and you can't hang around that, not after what you did." He started to walk faster. I stepped off the curb behind him and we walked out into the street.

"That's totally unfair!" I scoffed, throwing my hands up. "I've learned. I'm not gonna be sent away for that shit again."

"It's not about whether you know better, it's about association." He pulled open the driver door, but didn't get in. I went to the other side of the car, resting my elbow on the roof.

"So it's about your reputation?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Sarah," He rolled his eyes, "You know what I'm trying to say. You get in enough trouble by yourself, imagine if you get caught hanging around her when something happens."

I grumbled, pulling open the door to the car and sliding in behind Nancy. Steve sat down, slamming the door roughly.

Steve started the car and put on his seat belt. All of his movements were full of anger as he moved around harshly. Nancy put her hand on his and he looked over at her, I swear I was this close to barfing. I sighed, leaning my head against the window.

The sun was starting to set as we got further outside of town. Rain pattered lightly on the roof of the car and music hummed softly on the radio. I pulled down my sleeves, getting slight chills. I had never really figured out what happened to the Holland girl but the whole thing kind of gave me the creeps. Yet here I was, on the way to her creepy house.

Sometimes, you just have to suffer.