Chapter 20: Deafening

The idea had formed and developed at an impressive rate. It had been a while since I could think like that, and I was glad the ability to do so was back. I'd spent so long worrying and being overly careful that I'd forgotten what it was like to follow my instincts. My brain came up with this plan, based on what my body wanted. My actions complied to service my desires, not the other way around.

The nearest sports store was about 14 miles away, and on the open road it didn't take long to get there. I took some black sunglasses out of my glovebox, sliding them onto my face, and walked inside the large building. I grabbed a shopping basket as I had a few items I was going to buy, to avoid seeming suspicious buying only a baseball bat. A potential weapon.

I picked up a metal bat rather than a wooden one, and dropped it into the basket. I continued to wander around the store, finding the other items on my mental list and taking them to the cashier. A metal baseball bat, accompanied by a ball, a mitt, and a cap. The guy on the till smiled as he priced up the items.

"Nice weather for a game today." He said lifting up the bat and sliding it along the scanner.

"Oh it's not for me, it's for my nephew. It's his birthday tomorrow; he loves baseball."

"Aww sweet. How old is he?"

"He'll be 13 tomorrow." I smiled at him.

He waved goodbye as I left the store and I climbed into my car, throwing the bag of stuff I'd just purchased onto the back seat. Since I was still relatively close to my hometown, where I was a somewhat wanted criminal, I decided not to go into any more stores or busy areas that day. After driving down a straight road for 30 minutes, I pulled onto the side of it. This place was like a desert with a road smacked down the centre of it. In fact, that's exactly what it was.

The cacti and orange sand seemed to glare at the unwelcome streak of tarmac. I lay on the hood of my car and sunbathed in the blazing heat. After an hour or so the metal that my skin rested on became uncomfortably hot and the air felt sticky; clinging to my skin.

I jumped off of the car and stood there for a while, taking in the vast, empty landscape. I'd been almost asleep as I lay under the sun but I'd only heard one car pass me and the disapproving cacti.

Jumping back in the driver's seat I looked at the small clock on my dashboard. 4:56 pm. The car rattled as I turned the key and I focused my eyes on the little hand indicating that I needed gas. How fortunate; I knew just the place to get it from.

The small amount of gas already in the car kept it going for the 45 minute drive to the gas station. I stopped the car just out of view of the shop window and waited. A few cars came and went and I made my way through the stack of CDs on the passenger seat floor. 6:12, still a little early.

It was starting to get dark though. I squinted my eyes to get a look at the sign at the entrance; open 9-10. Fuck. I had another 4 hours to wait before the owner would close up.

I replayed all of the CDs another 3 times until it got 9:48 pm. It was still open; but I doubted the store would get any more customers so close to closing time. I pulled up to the gas pump and filled the tank. Peering over my car I checked to see if the cashier was looking my way. He wasn't.

I grabbed the bat out of the back of the car, and put on the cap along with my sunglasses, covering my face as much as possible. I walked up to the door, looking in all directions to make sure no one was around. I wouldn't wait to see if he obeyed me or not. I'd make him open the register and then I'd knock him out, take the money and leave.

The bell above the door rang out as I opened it and the guy looked up from the magazine he was reading, smiled and looked back down. Then his brain must've caught up with the situation as he looked at me again, his eyes falling on the metal baseball bat as it caught the yellow light of the bulb dangling from the ceiling.

"Oh shit." He muttered putting his hands up before shouting.

"Kyle! Call the cops." Fuck. There was someone in the back room. The door was shut but I heard someone fumbling around in there, making no effort to be quiet. I ran up to the guy who'd screamed, jumped over the counter and grabbed his throat.

"Open the register. Now! Or I'll crack your fucking skull open." He opened it and I took a step back before swinging the bat into the side of his head. I was shocked to see a streak of blood fly off of the metal and splatter against the window. If I hadn't been so panicked I would've taken a moment to appreciate the effectiveness of this weapon.

I heard a distinctive clicking noise coming from the back room and immediately recognised it. Shit, shit, SHIT! I grabbed a carrier bag from under the till and tipped all of the money into it. Then I ran, I ran like a deer escaping a hungry lion.

I made it outside and my car was in sight, my feet hurt as they hit the ground harder than ever before. I heard it before I felt it. The deafening crack of the shotgun. It was even more terrifying than the clicking noise of the guy in the back room loading the shells into it. The sound seemed to own every single empty space in the surrounding area. It rung out like a wolf howling into the silent night. Consuming everything.

I looked down and saw the blood beginning to soak through my t-shirt, pooling on the floor at my feet. And then the pain wracked my body as I tried to get away. Clutching at my stomach I walked forwards, only a few feet away from my car. The sound of the gunshot still in my ears.

I couldn't stand any longer, I fell to the ground crying out as my wounded stomach made contact with the harsh concrete. I desperately tried to stay conscious but I was being pulled by some unseen force into a void of darkness. I heard sirens in the distance, and then I blacked out.