Chapter One

So there I was, sitting in an emergency room. My mother had been sick for about a week now. We took her to the hospital and they said it was something they could not figure out. Hearing these words, I rushed into my car so I could take her to the emergency room, where we are now. The doctors told me that I couldn't go in, so I've been waiting outside of this room for about 3 hours. I was getting worried by the minute. What would happen to my mother? What's wrong with her and will she be okay? So many thoughts kept popping into my head.

I was still in high school, so it would be hard to live without a mother. I was in the eleventh grade. I was 17.

As I was thinking, a man came out of the room my mother was in and said "You have a very nice mom, you know."

"I know. She is the best. Is she okay?" I asked, worried.

"Well, not exactly."

My throat started burning. "What do you mean?" I asked.

The doctor stared at me. "She has cancer. We could do surgery and try to take her tumor out. If we get it out in time, she might live. But we have to do surgery as soon as possible."

I sat there, amazed. "Do the surgery tomorrow! I have time! 12:00 sounds good to me! Please, help my mom!" I said, louder than I thought I did.

The doctor gave me the 'okay' look. A few minutes later my mom came walking out of the room, looking like she had just been possessed or something.

"You okay mom?" I asked.

It took her a few minutes to reply. She just stared into space. "I'm fine. I mean, I will be after this surgery."

I started crying. "Momma, I love you," I said. Everybody out in the hallway was staring at me, but I didnt care.

"Carly, sweetheart, don't cry. Stay strong baby. I'll be okay," she said. I could tell in her voice she was about to start crying, as well. So I tried to stop.

"Okay. I'll stop. Just for you." That made my mom smile, which made me happy. I got in my car and took mom home.

When we finally got home and walked in the door, it was 8:00. I knew I would have to miss school tomorrow to take my mom to her appointment. I still needed rest. I had a feeling we were going to be in that emergency room for a long time. I went upstairs and changed into my nightclothes.

My mom came upstairs and saw me in my nightclothes. "Why are you going to bed so early?"

"Oh, I'm just tired," I lied.

She looked at me confused. "Well, I never did understand you anyways." She laughed. "No, I'm just joking. I love you baby girl. Good night." She came up to me and kissed my forehead.

"I love you too mommy." I didn't care that I was seventeen, and I didn't care what other kids thought of me. My mother is sick, and she still treats me well. I will call her mommy and mother and momma like a five year old, regardless of what anyone else says about it.

I laid in bed. Just as I began to put thought into everything, I fell asleep.

***

The next morning, I woke up at 9:00. I had two hours and thirty minutes until I had to leave for my moms surgery. I checked my phone and there was a message from my best friend, Nate.

Hey, you aren't at school. Are you okay? -N

I smiled. My friend was worried about me. How sweet.

Yeah, I'm fine. I've gotta take my mom somewhere. -C