❀𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏: 𝐎𝐧𝐞 𝐇𝐞𝐥𝐥 𝐎𝐟 𝐀 𝐁𝐞𝐠𝐢𝐧𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠❀

•☆• · · ───── ·☆· ───── · · •☆•
🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸
🌸 𝕊𝔼𝕋 𝕀ℕ 𝕋ℍ𝔼 𝕐𝔼𝔸ℝ 🌸
🌸1970🌸
🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸
•☆• · · ───── ·☆· ───── · · •☆•

"(Y/N), hurry up already!"

You giggled at the sound of the familiar voice that belonged to the young man that you called your older brother, Brian.

Though you called him your brother, the two of you weren't biologically related, at all - yet you'd spent most of your childhood in the same house, growing up together, under the care of his loving parents.

Your life hadn't been the simplest, and it hadn't been the easiest, either. Brian was perhaps the only person that had known that to the extent that he did, because he was around ten years old when you'd first became a part of his family.

As children, you and Brian had spent most of your time together, having become acquainted before either of you had even been able to talk.

In the very early years of your childhood, your family had been fairly close to his, and the fact that your residential properties weren't too far from each other had only allowed for a closer bond between your families.

Even though Brian was three years older than you, the pair of you had always just seemed to click, and when you'd begun your primary education, he was the only friend that you'd had.

For a while, he was your best friend, just as you were his - but a tragic event had soon turned him into your brother, though not biologically related.

There had been a terrible robbery-gone-wrong, one afternoon, whilst you were still at school - and as unfortunate as it was, every single person, that could have taken care of you, had met their demise at the hands of the senseless thieves, thieves that didn't have to have killed the way they had.

In an instant and a failed robbery, you'd lost everything. Of course, you'd been a child, then, so it had always left you confused. For a certain portion of your life, you were left wondering why you had never gotten to see your loved ones again.

The memories from that time in your life were rather blurry, and the only thing you vividly remembered was the fact that Brian's parents had been more than willing to take you into their home - for there wasn't a chance that they were going to allow the authorities to put you into the foster care system.

Too many times, that system had failed innocent children like you had once been, and if it hadn't been for the loving home that the Mays had given you, you were certain that you wouldn't have made it to where you currently were.

As a result of their part in raising you, you had followed somewhat of a similar academic path as Brian - taking up the sciences.

With every academic achievement Brian made, you were always right behind, making his parents immensely proud of both of their children - the son that Brian was, and the daughter they considered you to be.

You and Brian had spent nearly all of your time together, so much so that every single person in the neighbourhood had stories to tell about the mischief that you would sometimes get into.

He had helped you through everything. He had been there to comfort you whenever you spent your nights sobbing into your pillow, your heart aching for the family that had been viciously ripped away from you; he had been there to reassure you whenever you doubted your potential, but most importantly, he had always been there to protect you from the rest of the world - a trait that remained strong, even now that you were both college students.