❀𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟑: 𝐈𝐦𝐩𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐍𝐞𝐰𝐬❀

"Darling, be careful!" Cassandra laughed as you raced down the staircase, all dressed for your first day at work.

Albert stood at the foot of the staircase, having been patiently waiting for you as you'd gotten ready, and though Christian had tried to help you, you'd gone out of your way to do everything on your own.

You'd only had a heart-wrenching dream - you didn't need to be helped or fussed over, even though you still felt as weak as you had when you'd initially awoken.

But that could very well have simply been a result of mild exhaustion, something that was not going to hold you back from doing what you intended to do.

As much as you loved being a part of your new household, you could not wait to start work at your father-in-law's clinic - one could have said that you were eager to get out of the house and get involved with something productive.

People that knew you better would have said that you were desperate instead of eager.

But there was only one person that 'knew you better', aside from yourself.

"Christian!" Cassandra laughed as her son hurried out of the bedroom, unable to keep up with you.

The two of them were standing at the top of the staircase, watching you fondly.

"What can I do, Mum? She's got a mind and spirit of her own," Christian burst into chuckles as he stopped, realizing that there was no point in trying to 'help you', because you clearly didn't need it.

And you certainly didn't want it.

It had been a little over an hour since you'd had that 'rude awakening', of sorts, and looking at the way you were, in the present moment, it was hard to believe that you'd actually had the experience that you did.

But then again, time had taught you how to pretend as though everything was constantly perfect, even if that wasn't the case.

With your bag in hand, you reached the bottom of the stairs, breaking into a keen smile as you met Albert.

"Someone looks ready for work at the clinic," Albert laughed heartily.

You managed a sweet smile as you nodded. "That's me," you couldn't help but snicker at how cheesy it sounded - not that you had a problem with it at that moment in time.

In spite of your in-laws' initial reluctance toward allowing you to work after more or less being a wreck just an hour before, the smile on your face and the brightness in your eyes was evidence enough for them to believe that you were fine - that perhaps they'd overreacted a little.

Christian smiled when he saw how comfortable you were with your father-in-law, for his greatest desire was for you to feel safe with his family - your family, now that you were married.

He slipped his hands into the pockets of his white surgical coat, letting out a mild breath of relief. He might have been dressed for work too, but there was no doubt about the fact that you evidently seemed more excited to get to your work-place.

"Shall we?" Albert nodded toward the front doors, which were open, his fatherly eyes on you.

"Most definitely," you laughed softly as you moved to follow him.

Albert took the lead, and you turned back to give your husband and your mother-in-law an affectionate wave before you continued on your way.

It had gone unspoken that Albert was to drive the both of you to the clinic in his car, so all you really needed to do was follow him.