Chapter 1: To New England We Go

Katherine's POV

The sun is shining and the air is crisp. The sky is clear blue and it's gonna be a beautiful day. I came to New England to see my grandmother. She had a heart attack and fell hurting her hip in the process of it. I rushed back home to be by her side. She is now at home resting in her big mansion that she lives, surrounded by maids and butlers that help her around the house. She also has a nurse to come by and check on her well-being. I'm so glad that she's doing okay now.

Today is my last day in town and I decided to meet with an old friend. I was supposed to meet Sam at the cafe in town. Sam and I went to school together here in New England. I moved here when I was 10 years old. My parents died in a car accident. They were killed by a drunk driver. I was at home with my old babysitter when I found out the news and I was so devastated. The social worker told me to pack my belongings and to go with them. I took one last look at the house I used to live in and got into the car. I haven't looked back since. Just when I thought I was heading to foster care, I found out I had grandparents. They were my dad's parents. I wondered how come I never knew about them.  It's been a secret that I been trying to figure out still to this day. My grandparents took me in and loved me like I was their own child. They put me in the best schools money can buy. I even got a scholarship to go to college and my grandparents still paid for everything. Once I graduated from college, I moved to New York to pursue my journalism skills. I got a job working a the Brooklyn Chronicles.

I went to the cafe and found an empty table outside of the shop. I figured since it's a beautiful day then why don't we sit outside and enjoy this amazing scenery. I ordered some tea and blueberry scones. It was quite delicious. After an hour of waiting, I noticed the sky turning gray and that meant rain was coming. I paid for my bill and left. I began walking down the sidewalk towards to my car. All of sudden the rain started pouring down. I ran to a nearby shop and went inside. I took off my jacket and hung it up on the coat rack. I decided to browse around until the rain stop. The owner of the store approached me and said, "Hello there, young lady! I don't get to see many people your age shop here in this antique shop."

"Sir, I'm just browsing around until the rain stops. I was supposed to meet an old friend of mine but she never showed up. Then I saw your shop and ran inside to stay dry." I said.

"My name is Hank Johnson and I'm the owner of this shop. So feel free to browse around and holler if you need anything." said Mr. Johnson.

"Okay." I said.

I roamed around the shop and three things caught my eye, a typewriter, a old desk, and some old poetry books. I figured I could use the desk and typewriter for my office space. I would use the poetry books to read on the plane back home. I called the owner over told him that I wanted to purchase these items.  I paid for my things and grabbed my jacket. The rain finally stopped and the sun was shining. I put my things in my car and headed back to Grandma's house. I parked my car in the driveway and walked up to the front door. Mr. Jake greeted me at the door.

"Hey Mr. Jake. Did Sam come by this afternoon?" I asked.

"Oh! You Miss Samantha Greyson?!  She called and left you a message. I wrote it down for you." said Mr. Jake.

"Thanks. Where's grandma?" I said.

"In the kitchen drinking tea." said Mr. Jake.

"What?! She's supposed to be in bed! Stubborn old woman!" I said.

I walked into the kitchen and Ms. June was cleaning the kitchen.

"Grandma?! You're supposed to be in bed! Doctor's orders!"  I said.

"I'm fine. A little sore but I'll be all right." winced Grandma.

"Ms. June?! Did grandma take her medicine yet?" I asked.

"She's due for it now. Then I'll help her back to bed." said Ms. June.

"Good. She just had surgery on her hip. I hope she didn't bust her stitches loose." I said.

"I'll call the nurse in the morning to check her out. If her stitches come loose, I call her doctor and have her sent to the hospital right away. I'll make sure she takes her pills while you're gone." said Ms. June.

"Thanks. I appreciate it. I'm going to my room. Let me know when dinner's ready." I said.

I went into my room and read the message that Mr. Jake gave me. It reads:

Kat, Sorry I couldn't make it to the cafe today. I got called into work today. We'll meet again some other time. Sam.

An hour later dinner was ready and it started to rain again. This time it was pouring down out there. Ms. June gave me my dinner. She made my favorites, mashed potatoes with gravy, roasted turkey with dressing and veggies on the side. She also made some fresh rolls and homemade blueberry cobbler with whipped cream on top. Ms. June served grandma some soup in bed. I ate the delicious dinner and dessert that Ms. June had made. Afterwards, I went upstairs to my room and finished packing my bags.

The next morning, I woke up and got ready for the plane ride home. I went into grandma's room to check on her and say my goodbyes.

"Hi grandma! I just wanted to let you know that I'm leaving today. I'm going back to New York and I promise to visit when I have more vacation time." I said.

"Oh, Kitty Kat! I wish you didn't have to go but I understand. Promise you'll call once in a while." said Grandma.

"Yes. I will call you, I promise. I have to go now, Grandma. Bye." I said.

"Bye Kitty Kat." said Grandma.

"Bye." I said.

I left the house and Ms. June handed me a bag of fresh chocolate chip cookies straight out of the oven. It smelled so good and I couldn't wait to eat them on the plane. I hugged Ms. June goodbye and told her that I'll be back soon to visit again. Mr. Jake carried my bags to the car. Mr. Charles was my driver. I left my car in Grandma's driveway because I'm taking the plane home. Mr. Charles drove me to the airport. I pulled out my passport, plane ticket and driver's i.d. and carried it as I walked through airport security. They checked my bags and my information and I was able to board the plane. I'm in first class and I found my seat. I ordered some ginger-ale before the plane was about to take-off. I grabbed my bag of cookies, books and iPad. The first book I opened was a book about Langston Hughes. He's one of my favorite poets of all time. This book was mostly poetry. I ate some of Ms. June's delicious cookies and washed it down with the ginger-ale I bought. It was a long ride back to New York. After I finished reading my book, I closed my eyes and drifted of to dreamland.

*Do you guys like the story so far? Want more? You know what you have to do! Please leave good comments below, like and vote. I promise there will be more amazing chapters like this. So stay tuned for more on the way.*