Chapter 2: Back To Life, Back To Reality

Katherine's POV

The next day I arrived back  to New York. It felt great to be back home. I lived in Brooklyn, New York for about 10 years now and I love it here. I called an U ber and the driver sent me home to my apartment in the city. I got to my building and the driver put my belongings on the stoop. I pulled out my keys and opened the door. I grabbed my things and went upstairs to my apartment. I unlocked the door and went inside. I put my bags in my room and went to shower to cleanse the airplane germs off me. After I showered, I ordered some food from seamless. I ordered online  from my favorite restaurant, Pizza hut. I didn't feel like cooking so takeout it is. I ordered a medium pepperoni pizza, pasta bowl, and some bread sticks. While I was waiting for my order, I went into my office and unloaded the desk and typewriter that I bought from the antique shop back in New England.

I put the typewriter on my desk and the bottom fell out. So I went to grab my toolbox and began fixing the typewriter but before I could do that, I noticed a small envelope sticking out of the bottom of the typewriter. The letter was addressed to a woman named Ellen Parker.

"Who is Ellen Parker?" I said in deep thought.

I had to debate on whether I should open the letter or not. I was curious to what the letter was about but I didn't want to invade someone's privacy. The letter was sent from a woman named Eva and it was from Georgia. The envelope was brownish and dirty. It was hard to read and some of the words were smudged like it got wet in the rain or something. I thought this would be a perfect article for next month's issue for the Brooklyn Chronicles. It has some mystery in it. I love solving mysteries as well as writing them. This is going be great. Now I just got to find the pieces of this puzzle. Then my phone ding and sent me a notification that my food will be arriving in 5 minutes. 5 minutes later, my food arrived on time and it was hot. I already paid for my food online so all I had to do was go downstairs to get and I did. I went back upstairs and went into the kitchen to prepare my food on my plate. I grabbed a bottle of wine, a glass, and a plate of food. I turned on the t.v. and click on the Netflix app. I picked a movie to watch and began to eat as I watched the movie. I do enjoy being alone but I don't like being lonely. Being single sucks and really need to get out more. I finished eating and went back to my office.

I fixed the typewriter and then I realized there were some items missing like paper and ribbon. I left the typewriter on the desk and took a look at the desk. It needed to be cleaned out but I was too tired to clean it so I decided to clean it tomorrow. I climbed in bed and read the books I bought from the antique store until I felt sleepy. I pulled the covers over, laid my head on my pillow and fell fast asleep.

Then next morning, I woke up to get ready for work. I showered, got dressed, combed my hair, brush my teeth, sprayed some cologne, put on my shoes. Then I went into the kitchen to make breakfast. As I was making my breakfast smoothie to go, I noticed Teddy walking through the doggy door. Teddy is my cat. He is the kind of cat that likes to roam free in the streets and comes home when he pleases. I swear I think I'm living with a man who hasn't sown his wild oats yet.

"Teddy?! Where have you been?! I hope you haven't been messing with other girl kitties. You ain't bring no babies in here! One cat is enough." I scolded.

Teddy meowed and walked over to his bowl ready to be fed. It's like he's not even listening to me. What am I going to do with this darn cat? I sigh and I feed him his breakfast.  I poured my smoothie into a mug. I grabbed my keys, wallet and bag then locked up the house. I set up the alarm and left for work. Traffic wasn't too bad this morning and I made it on time. I parked the car, walked inside the building, took the elevator, and arrived to my floor. I went inside the office and sat at my cubicle.

I spoke to my co-workers that I haven't seen since my grandmother's accident. I only took three days off.  I walked to my boss's office and I knocked on the door. My boss's name is engraved on the door, Robert J. Fields.

"Come in." said Mr. Fields.

"Hello Mr. Fields." I said.

"Have you have your article ready for next month's issue yet?" asked Mr. Fields.

"That's what I came to talk to you about. You see while I was visiting my grandmother, I went to meet with an old friend from school. She never showed up and I went to this antique shop nearby. I saw this old typewriter, a desk, a some books. I took them home yesterday and I found a letter in the typewriter. It's addressed to someone named Ellen Parker. The rest of the words are smudged off." I said.

"Where are you going with this, Katherine?" said Mr. Fields.

"This letter is mystery. I figured I could write about this in my article. All I have to do is find out where this letter came from and find the person that letter belongs to. There must be a secret or something. I feel like this can be a great story for my article. I just need some time off to work on this assignment. I need to go back to New England to get answers to solve this." I said.

"This better be a good article this time. The last one was horrible and I don't want to go through that again. You have until the end of the month to return with a decent article. If you do well in next month's article, you will get a paid month vacation meaning any month of the year you so choose. Don't let me down this year, Katherine!" said Mr. Fields.

"I won't let you down, Mr. Fields.

*Is the story getting good? Do you want more? You know what you gotta do! Vote, like and comment below. Stay tuned for more on the way!*