Ch. 27 Comfort

Finally updating! Thank you so much for sticking with me and reading!! 

💙

~'~'~'~

Happy pulled up to the front of Chloe's house and sat in the driveway for a minute, staring at the front door. He recognized Juice's rental SUV parked at the curb with Nero's lowrider behind it. He figured they were all there for dinner or something. Angela had texted to invite him to eat with them, but he'd ignored it; it wasn't her place to invite him over. It was Chloe's. He sat with his bike idling, trying to figure out whether to knock or ring the doorbell or let himself in with the key he had. Once upon a time, he would've let himself in regardless of whether anyone was home or not. But that was before...

The front door opened, and he found himself holding his breath as Chloe stepped out. She walked to the end of the porch, her arms wrapped around herself. She didn't need crutches any more. Not unless she was tired. All the doctors said she'd healed at a remarkable rate through her own sheer stubbornness. She'd pushed herself constantly to the limit, and it'd gotten her exactly where she wanted to be. She was strong as hell, and it was that strength that had drawn him to her initially. It was everything else that had kept him coming back to her. He'd never admit it out loud, but he missed her. Missed her more than he ever thought he would.

She spotted him in the driveway, one eyebrow raising as she walked towards him. He turned off the motorcycle, nodding a greeting to her. She nodded back, head tilted to the side while she looked him over. "You going to come in anytime soon?"

"That an invitation?" he asked, taking off his helmet.

"Hap, your mom is staying with me. You don't need any invitation to see her," she replied, her voice a little sad. "Unless you're a vampire and need one to cross the threshold, then sure. You may come in, Dracula."

Happy smirked; he'd missed her random pop culture references. Usually, he only picked up on half of them, but this one he knew. He wished he could sink his teeth into her neck, drag his tongue over the mark like a vampire. She'd gasp and then sigh in the sweetest way. Probably make another stupid joke about Dracula, and they'd somehow end up in the bedroom. Thinking about it now was starting to turn him on a little. He had to think of something else before she noticed. He thought about his sick mom inside, of the reason why she was at Chloe's place to begin with. Hospice care. Sighing, he nodded slowly. "Thanks."

She shrugged a shoulder. "Not needed," she said, waving off his thanks as she turned back towards the house. "C'mon, Lowman. Your food's getting cold."

He followed after her, catching up with her easily. "Thought I missed dinner."

She scoffed at him, and though he didn't catch it, he knew she'd rolled her eyes. "As if your mom would ever let you go hungry," she said, opening the front door. "Look who I found outside."

Evie was the first to greet him, running up to him and wrapping her little arms around his legs. "Tio!" she exclaimed, tilting her head all the way back. "I missed you!" (Uncle)

It hadn't been all that long since he'd last seen her, but he loved hearing she missed him. He chuckled, swooping her off her feet and onto his shoulder like a sack of potatoes. Her giggles filled the air, little feet kicking about for a moment before he moved her down into his arms, holding her on his hip. She kissed his cheek, moving her arms around his neck. "How you doin', brat?"

"Good! I helped Abuela with dinner! Its yummy!"

"Sure it is," he said, surprised to find a plate of food for him at the dinner table. His Ma, Graciela, and Nero were still sitting down talking as they had some flan. Chloe grabbed his plate and headed for the microwave. "Where's your parents?" he asked the little girl, setting her down in the chair with a booster seat.