Ch. 30 The Glue

Chloe approached Angela's room with her heart already aching. She understood how bad it was. How there was a chance Angela may never start breathing on her own, how there was a chance they could lose her. She stopped at the threshold of the room, a lump forming in her throat as her eyes fell on Juice sitting on the edge of Angela's bed by her hip. One of her hands was gripped in his, his other hand was gently caressing her face, smoothing her hair off her forehead as he spoke to her in soft tones. There were tears falling down his cheeks as he brought her hand to his lips, bowing his head slightly as if in quiet prayer.

A hand fell on her hip, and Chloe looked over her shoulder to find Happy there. There was a pain stricken look on his face as his dark eyes fell on his little cousin. She watched his Adam's apple bob as he swallowed hard. He shook his head, taking a step away and wordlessly heading down the hallway, hands in his cut pockets. She wanted to chase after him, wrap her arms around him, and let him fall apart, but she knew he wouldn't. Knew he needed space to process it all on his own. He'd come back when he was ready. Probably smelling of alcohol or weed with battered knuckles. She was okay with that. She'd be there for him when he needed her. Now, Angela's other family needed her. 

She wrapped a knuckle on the door, catching Juice's attention. He looked over at her with his light eyes that were filled with tears. "She's gonna wake up, right? She just needs a little rest or somethin'?" he asked, his voice cracking as he wiped at his cheeks.

"I dunno, Juice," she replied, tears pricking the corners of her eyes. "The doctors seem optimistic. Think we just have to have hope."

"Yeah, hope," he repeated softly.

"Your bugs are in the NICU. Little boy and little girl," she reminded him. "You got names for them?"

He sniffled, shrugging his shoulder. "No. Was her turn to pick this time. I named Evie, she got to name the bugs. Talked about a few, but I..." he trailed off shaking her head. "I can't name them without her. That was her job."

"I'm sure you can remember some," Chloe encouraged, setting a hand on his back in her attempt to comfort him. "Maybe if you see them..."

He shook his head slowly as he swallowed hard. "I can't leave her, Chlo," he stated, his voice tight with anguish. "This time was s'posed to be different. I was s'posed to hold her hand, help her push or whatever, do everything that I didn't with Eves. I was s'posed to be there. We were s'posed to be happy. This wasn't supposed to happen."

"I know, Juice, I know, but your babies..."

"Can you...can you go be with them, please?" he asked, brown eyes wide and pleading. "Please, Chlo. I can't leave her here alone. I won't, and they need someone there, and I know you'll take good care of 'em. Make sure they're okay. I trust you, 'n' she would...she'd want someone to be with them."

Chloe didn't like that decision. Not one bit. He couldn't push away the twins to be with his wife. There was no way Angela would be okay with that. No way would she want him to stay with her and not take care of their babies. She would want him out of there and taking care of their kids. All of their kids. Chloe would let it slide this time, but she wouldn't stand for it for long. "And your other kids?"

Juice's eyes fell on Angela again. "I dunno, Chlo. I dunno what to do here. I dunno how to explain this to them. I can't. I can't...I dunno how to do this without her."

"Okay," she whispered, rubbing a hand over his back. She could see he was on the edge of a panic attack, and she didn't want to push him to it. "I'll be back a little later to check on ya."

He nodded, another tear falling down his cheek as his eyes settled on his wife. He looked absolutely wrecked. Chloe squeezed his shoulder as she glanced at Angela. She reached out and gently righted one of the tubes on her face. She was going to step up and take care of the family that always took care of her no matter how hard it was going to get.