23 - Loyalty

The passing night a völva came to me in my dreams. Her face was hidden and the room was dark, but I knew where I was. I was standing in the old Seer's hut in my hometown, a place where I had always felt safe. But not now, not in this dream. I was scared, almost petrified as she started to speak.

"Garm stands outside his cave, the beast howls loud.The fetters will burst, and the wolf will run free. Much do I know, and more can see, of the fate of the gods, of the fate of Tyr."

In the dream I closed my eyes, and suddenly I was standing on a cliff watching as water turned into fire around me and the giant-wolf Garm, guard at the entrance of Niefelheim, appeared below me. Then the slightly smaller giant-wolf Fenrir appeared beside him.

"What does it mean?!" I screamed at the dark clad woman, who was still lingering in my mind. I felt panic rushing through me, but I could not move. The tales of Ragnarök were etched in my mind from the late night storytelling around my father's fireplace. I knew the god Tyr was destined to be killed by Garm. One of the greatest warriors, the god of war, fooled that it was his friend Fenrir and was killed by its deceiving jaws.

The woman gave me a sad smile then pointed over the cliff edge, towards the spot where the wolves had been. The chaos around me was gone, fire had turned into ash and stone. And the wolves were nowhere to be seen, instead I saw two men where they had stood. It was Vidar and Freke.

"What does it mean!?" I begged her and fell to my knees, "are you saying they will kill me? Will Freke take my first arm and Vidar bite off my last? Like the myths foretell?" I could feel warm tears falling down my cheeks and I watched as they painted the grey stone darker underneath me.

The woman did not answer, and before I had the chance to ask her again, I was wide awake in my bed, surrounded by Freke's limbs and feeling their soft breaths against my bare shoulder.

But I couldn't bear lying there anymore, my skin was sticky from the cold sweat that covered my body, my heart was pounding in my chest and the world felt surreal around me. What was she trying to tell me?!

My heart was still racing when the morning air hit me. Why had I kissed Vidar? For the love of Freya, he was Freke's maður! Why had I invited Noora here? Ari was safer in my father's hird. Not here, not while I was acting like a madman and the threat was still out there.

I was standing outside my house, my great hall, but I couldn't manage to walk inside. Somewhere in the back of my head I could hear a voice call my name, but I ignored it. I was tired. I wanted Bjarke dead. I needed good news for once, but whenever someone called my name it was usually a bad omen.

"Tyr!"

I sighed and turned when a hand landed on my shoulder, "Yes, Ivar?" I muttered and glared at him, showing my annoyance openly for everyone to see.

He hesitated then decided to place his hand back on my shoulder, "Jarl, the harbour is built. Let's walk down there and watch them launch the first fishing boat."

"Already? They worked fast."

"You inspired them," Ivar said with a warm smile on his face. "I haven't seen my village thriving like this in years. After everything we've been through, most of us see a bright future with you and Noora around."

His words gave me mixed feelings. I wanted to be happy and smile. A part of my heart was warm and excited for what I had accomplished. But as always, my friends seemed to leave out the part that was connected to the wolves.

My eyes gazed out over the blue and glimmering water. The sun was rising and its rays were reflected in the moving surface in colours of orange and pink. It was beautiful, so simple and yet so perfect. Unlike my life.

"I'm sorry I've been so distracted," I said as my eyes travelled to the newly built port where smaller ships could dock, hopefully with the intent to trade with us. It was modest and humble, but good enough for Skal.

"Understandable," Ivar answered me with that smile still lingering on his face. "Your firstborn almost died, your lover's husband arrived, and," he paused and the smile left him, "I'm guessing Bjarke is still alive?"

"I believe so," I muttered, "but Vidar is chasing after him."

"If anyone could kill him it has to be that man," Ivar snickered. "He's intimidating, don't you think?"

"Not as much when you get to know him," I said and winked at him. And suddenly I was thrown back to the forest and remembered my last minutes with the tall wolf. I remembered what he tasted like, how warm his skin had been and how the challenging look in his blue eyes made my breathing falter. But I also thought about how sweet and caring he was towards Freke and how calm he always made me. And then the image of him guarding the gate to Nifelheim flashed before my eyes and I instantly shook my head.

I took a moment and drew a long deep breath of salty sea air and tried to relax my shoulders. I needed to get my feelings sorted.This teenage behaviour was unacceptable.

"You are in deep thoughts," Ivar said with concern in his voice, "let me help you. What's on your mind?"

"I'm thinking about moving us closer to my hometown," I said, knowing he wouldn't like it.

As expected, Ivar turned to stare at me. "Why?"

I licked my lips, peering at the ground and rested my hands on my hips, taking my time to find the right words. "We need better soil for our crops, but most of all, we need neighbours that would come to our aid if we needed them."

"Neighbours like your father and the wolf pack?"

"It makes sense, we're all alone out here on the coast, Ivar. What if Bjarke returns with warriors behind him, or worse – more magic wielders?"

Ivar rubbed the top of his head frantically with his fingertips, causing his braids to loosen up and strings of hair fell down the sides of his face. "I understand your point, Tyr. As will the warriors and maybe they'd manage to convince their wives, but the farmers and the commoners won't leave. I'm sure of it."

"I know." I sighed and shook my head. "But we need to try and convince them. The wolves will leave permanently, so what will we do if there is a new threat?"

"I will try, Tyr, but the folk here are of the stubborn kind," he chuckled and patted my back.

"All I want is for them to live without fear, and thrive."

"You've earned their trust," Ivar said and patted my shoulder comfortingly, "maybe they'll listen and follow you this time as well."

"I hope so." I turned to look at the small boat that bobbed from the waves created by the gentle breeze, "Give me some time to plan it all, I'll need to offer them something they can't reject."

And then I turned to walk along the shoreline, enjoying the silence and the solitude. Trying my best to figure out which emotions belonged to whom and what I wanted for my future. Not the future of Skal, but the future of Tyr.

 Not the future of Skal, but the future of Tyr