Foreword

Copyright © 2022 BTSXPRESS

All rights reserved. No part of this story may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means whatsoever without express written permission from the author.

* * *

This is a work of fiction. The story is a fractured fairy tale based on the work "Bluebeard" by Charles Perrault, but still, names, business, events, and incidents (to an extent) are the products of the author's imagination. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.

No, I do not have a thing for the color blue. The fact that I published two short stories with blue in the title is completely coincidental.

I wrote this recently for a school project and will never submit it to any competition or literary magazine because of its ties to "Bluebeard." That is why I am publishing it here before it grows old and ugly and crushed in the hundreds of Google Docs files I have.

If you do not know the story of "Bluebeard," here is a summary:

An ugly man with a blue beard murders his many wives, but the last wife's brothers come and kill him before Bluebeard can kill her. The end. There is nothing more to know.

"A Study In Blue" is a 2,850-word short story that shamelessly rips the title of Arthur Conan Doyle's "A Study in Scarlet," but instead of scarlet, I used blue because of "Bluebeard." This story is just a sad story about events (written in the form of vignettes) that explain why Bluebeard murdered his wives. That is it.

The warnings to note are as follows: child abuse, murder, an overall depressing plot, and inaccurate portrayal of geography in France (I used Google Maps).

I hope you enjoy it.