The Hunt

Naga reached near the border of the village and steadily cruised his jeep towards the path of jungle. While driving, he saw a lonely hut on the right side of the road. There was a woman sitting outside her hut covering her head in a green woolen shawl and had the weary eyes of awaiting someone. It did not matter to him. He just caught that glimpse and he pushed his jeep confidently towards the jungle.

After 5 kilometers of drive into the jungle, he finally arrived at Zone-4. There was a small bridge ahead. He observed there was a small but fierce stream of a water gushing from the left and crossing under the bridge. He stopped his jeep in the left. Before the beginning of that bridge. He got down and stretched his hands together in the air. He looked in the left side into those wild waters. 

He rightly spotted that pangolin stranded in the patch of dry land and he saw water surrounding that patch of land. That pangolin was scared and restless. The pangolin was trying every possible move and made desperate attempts to save itself from that situation. Even though it was not quite possible, the animal still displayed some hope in getting out. Naga saw the animal and he decided that it was next to impossible for the pangolin to get out of that patch and swim to the shore. Even if the animal managed to get out, the wild water would instantly wash it out and carry it down the wild stream. 

Naga happily smiled at the security of his investment and felt contended that the animal will be there till he reaches it. The sun was slowly going down and he still had his main target to achieve. He went to the back of his jeep. He unlocked the leather case of his rifle, took the rifle out and loaded the silencer to the front of the rifle. 

This silencer should definitely work, else he will catch the attention of a ranger and that will be his end as a poacher. To the right side of the bridge was that huge hill full of dense tree line. He knew for sure that some tiger is sure to descend from that hill and cross the road to go to the left side. With such an abundance of tigers in zone-4, Naga has been reaping the benefits for many years. Naga scanned the foot hill through his long scoped binoculars but not a sign of any animal. He then sat on the top of driver's seat, set the rifle on jeep's top chassis and aimed towards the foot of the hill ahead of the tree line. The waiting game began..

Bodhi travelled the same road that led to the Siraki's T-Junction. The three old men were wrapping up for the day as they had to go back home. Bodhi stopped the cycle under the big banyan tree and got down. He knew inside that someone there should have noticed something as there was no other smoother road leading to jungle border. He made a guess. If this road is leading to this exact place, there must be someone who would have noticed something about Naga's Jeep. Bodhi walked to the three old men and asked if they saw a jeep. Instantly the three old men gave every microscopic detail about the incident they had noticed. Bodhi wondered why all three old men mentioned about the black sheet on the passenger's seat. Apparently, there must be something hidden under it. Bodhi sat back on the cycle and started to pedal fast.

In about 2 kilometers after cycling, he neared Tara's hut. His heart paced fast as he was anxious about Tara's condition. He parked his cycle outside the fence and he saw Tara sitting on the porch and wiping her tears running down her cheeks. Eyes full of sadness and expectation of Anuja, she responded to every single sound around her. Arindam was sitting in the corner of the porch with his toys. Unaware of the danger his sister could be in, he too was just anxious to see his sister back in the house soon. Bodhi stood speechless in front of Tara. There were really no words with him to either console Tara or assure her of anything. He just stood as a wood and hoped his presence comforted her in any means possible. She too expected that someone would give her the hope she was expecting the most. 

Bodhi gathered courage and spoke to her: "Tara, i really don't know where Anuja would be now. But i assure you that I will find her and bring her to you". Tara could not speak any words. She just nodded her head by wiping off her tears. Bodhi started from her hut, took three deep breaths and started pedaling his cycle towards the jungle.