Catherine

"What your parents have is a real-life fairy tale", Camila stated matter-of-factly. "You don't see that every day or every decade for that matter", she continued. Camila paused only long enough to take a sip of her Coke. "If you think what you have is anywhere close to what they have, think again". I placed a glass of cold water in front of my middle child, her eyes a little glassy as she attempted to soak in what her aunt was telling her. I have her a wink and a weak smile as I stood and exited the family room; leaving my poor daughter to suffer her aunt's assault. As much as I loved my sister-in-law, her visits tired me out. I escaped to the quiet solitude of the study or my private library as I liked to call it. Sitting in this room, surrounded by all the stories, I tended to escape into when I needed a break from reality. The sun was steadily beaming through the window illuminating the open book on the desk; the diary I had written in nearly every day since the time we met. Today was no different. As I sat, I gazed at the writing from the previous day. Sighing, I turned to a clean page, thinking about today; but not today. I began to write as I did nearly everyday - On this day thirty years ago . . .

~

I woke to the sound of my blaring alarm clock. "Ugh", I groaned, slamming my hand onto the clock silencing it once and for all. With my arm draped over my eyes I sighed, rubbed by eyes and sat up. Cursing my life in my head as I stretched and finally flung my legs over the side of the bed. "Let's go!", I hear my mother yelling for me from the other side of the apartment. "Well", I say to myself, "no use delaying this any longer". I rose to my feet and dragged myself to the closet, carefully selecting an outfit to match my sneakers. A coral colored crop top and a pair of jean shorts. I fastened my butterfly earrings onto each ear then my medallion and chain around my neck. I grabbed the assortment of gummy bangles, pulled them onto my wrist then grabbed the yellow walkman and headphones and headed out the door. Quickly running into the bathroom, I brushed my teeth then put my hair up into a pony tail. "Catherine! We need to go!", she called again. I rinsed my mouth again and dried my face, "Coming!", I yelled back.

It was nearly seven in the morning as we walked out the door and down the street towards the train station. It was busy despite the hour. The heat of the summer was already unbearable. We walked up the two story steps and made our way through the turn styles. in silence. I stood on the platform next to my mother waiting for the B train. I went to bed in a bad mood and woke in the same mood. I didn't want to speak to her. I shoved my headphones on and pressed play on the walkman. "Music", I thought to myself, "is my only escape." I sighed gaining a side long glance from my mother. Before she could comment on my sigh and attitude, the train pulled in to the stop, effectively saving me from her wrath. I found a corner seat by the window facing backward and put my feet up on the seat in front of me. My mother took a seat next to me and pulled out a book than began to read. I adjusted my headphones, crossed my arms over my chest and leaned further back into the seat. "Listen", my mother turned to talk to me. "I know you are upset, but you need to work this summer", she sighed as she put her book down and faced me. "I just don't understand why", I whined. "I just wanted to spend time with Carrie Ann and Antonio at the beach", I continued. "It is the summer before we start high school and I won't see Carrie Ann as often since she is going to another school". "Well", she huffed and slapped her book against her lap, "if your father had paid child support instead of raising someone else's children, . . .". "Okay", I conceded raising my hands. "I've heard it over and over", I sighed. "Can we not relive this conversation for the millionth time?". "Fine", she agreed. "but you do realize that making money over the summer is good for you", she continued. "You can use the money to buy new school clothes and school supplies." "It's fine", I said turning up the volume on my walkman. Conversation over as quickly as it had begun, my mother returned her attention to her book once more. I learned further into the window focusing on my music. I watched the moving scene in the window humming to myself. At some point, my mother motioned that our stop was approaching and that I should be ready. I rose to my feet, adjusted my wind breaker so it hung off my hips and paused my music. The ride from Brooklyn to the Bronx too nearly an hour. Arriving at the Webster Avenue stop, we descended the stairs of the raised platform and began the trek toward the community center. The walk down the hill took twenty minutes in complete silence, which seemed like hours. We stopped in front of the community center where mom worked. "Okay", she began. "Have a great first day, learn new things, and I love you", she stated and gave me a hug. Public displays made me cringe. Especially from her because they were never heart felt and mostly always for show. I was so annoyed, I refused to hug her back. "Yeah, okay", I responded and began walking toward the McDonalds. Again, I fixed the headphones onto my ears and raised the volume as my favorite song blared. The walk from the community center took less than ten minutes but felt longer in the summer heat. My first summer job, thanks to mom's connections at the community center. As fast food restaurants go, this one was new and state f the art. I walked in to find the lobby and dinning room already busy as I walked toward the counter then asked for the manager. "She's in the back", one of the girls at the counter stated and pointed. Harmony was seated in the tiny break room looking over what looked like schedules. "Good morning", I said affixing a sincere fake smile on my face. Harmony looked up from the documents she'd been reviewing. "Good morning Catherine", she smiled. "Come in", Harmony ushered me toward a seat beside her. "I'm just waiting on another girl to join us", she continued. "She should be here soon", Harmony stated looking at her watch. "You're early", she smiled. "That's a good sign". "Thank you", was all I could think to say. I pulled my headphones onto one ear, keeping the volume low in case Harmony spoke to me. Minutes later, another girl walked into the room. Harmony stood quickly and greeted her, then ushered her into the seat to my right. "Hi", she said, "I'm Sharon", the girl introduced herself. "I'm Catherine", I shared. "You can call me Cat". She smiled and nodded. "Okay ladies, let's begin", Harmony smiled and popped in a video cassette into the VCR then pressed play. We watched a video explaining safety rules and procedures.  "Alright, Catherine, you will start in the dining area wiping down the tables and chairs," Harmony began setting us to work after an hour of training and procedural videos had played. "Sharon, you will begin on register", she continued. "But first, let's get you lockers and uniforms", Harmony shared. She guided us to the lockers and provided us with locks, then pulled out brand new uniforms for each of us. We were sent to change in the restroom and instructed to return to the breakroom once we were ready. I changed quickly, pulling my long hair into a bun, placed the new visor on my head, and walked back to the breakroom where Harmony was waiting.