Chapter 28 - Sword Sovereign

"I wasn't born to be soft and quiet. I was born to make the world shatter and shake at my fingertips." - S.W. Raine

________________________________________________________________________________

Duke Lawrence felt some shivers on his back under my cruel gaze, but he understood that he had a great advantage in this fight and it was extremely unlikely for him to lose.

He gave up on using weapons and charged at me with his bare fists covered in rapid water currents. With a wave of his hand several elemental spikes were formed in the air, flying rapidly towards me. I received attacks from both my right and left sides, treat of the other Demon Earls. A hurricane of wind blades destroyed all the Eradication Sword Qis protecting me, while several transparent spirits jumped at me with their claws and vengeful countenances. The Demon Earl expert in healing was just supporting them by increasing the gravity by ten times in a small area around my body, thus delaying my movements.

The hurricane was only aimed at my sword qi traps and defenses made of Terror, so I let it alone. I began to drown the spirits in darkness, destroying them quickly. This way, I had my hands free to deal with the frontal attack from Duke Lawrence.

Desolation sliced all the water spikes into two without any trouble, but I still carried a frown on my forehead. The situation wasn't as good as it seemed. The sword Qis in the air were being removed by the hurricane, so I had no chance to counter-attack. I could not bother myself with the spirits due to the water spikes coming from the front, so I was forced to use the less efficient method of overpowering them with my Magic Power attribute. 

Furthermore, I also had trouble blocking all the water currents with all the weight from the increased gravity. My Magic Power was being used at a dangerously quick pace, even with the support from my Infernal Physique and the Domain of Corrosion. 

My only chance was to change to a more offensive stance in this fight. I let a few water spikes collide against my chest and forced my way towards Duke Lawrence, healing the injuries almost instantly. The spirits followed me from behind, but my Agility attribute was too large compared to them. I hacked at Duke Lawrence with my sword, trying to force him to step back.

However, he calmly used Rage of the Ocean to clash against Desolation with a few water serpents. They were all destroyed, but the rebound force from the collision threw me back to my original position.

The spirits used the opportunity to plunge at me like mad beasts, but I didn't care about them and just drowned them again in Terror without hesitation. 

I was about to initiate another offensive tactic when I noticed the disturbing grin on Duke Lawrence's face. I immediately grew tense and became more cautious of my surroundings.

The water spikes kept flying towards me, but I had no patience to cut each one of them and just let my Diamond Body and Infernal Physique continuously heal me. However, at that moment a change finally occurred.

Duke Lawrence wasn't throwing the water spikes with the goal of hurting me, but lowering my guard to them as I was currently doing. 

All the spikes suddenly transformed into powerful water serpents trying to bite me with astonishing might. I wasn't ready for the sneak attack and tried to block them by crossing Desolation in front of my chest. 

Nevertheless, there were too many of them, penetrating holes into my body and damaging my internal organs by invading my circulatory system.

"It is useless." Duke Lawrence bellowed. "Those injuries are not something healing skills can deal with."