Chapter 38 - Spectrum City

"They say money is the root of all evil. I see money as the route of all people." - Segerios.com

________________________________________________________________________________

Spectrum city was bustling with merchants trying to sell their products amidst the light rain, a common sight in a place mainly known for its commerce. A lot of the pedestrians did not seem even slightly concerned with getting wet, their bodies flickering with a translucent glow. This was because more than half of the residents in Spectrum City were spirits, fairies and ghouls who were not affected by most physical senses.

The city itself was separated into three different layers starting from the center, a sign that it was well-organized regardless of its ghastly appearance. Despite having a high inflow of money, the houses had at best murky wooden rooftops and some worn down blackstone walls, giving them a somber atmosphere.

The outside layer of Spectrum was solely used for residential areas and Inns for travellers, and it was clearly given less care than the other regions by looking at the bumpy roads and homeless demi-humans begging in the streets.

The middle layer of the city was the richest merchant area, where business and trading took place. The houses here were clearly larger than the rest, displaying the disparity between the rich and the poor. 

The center was only occupied by a huge luxurious mansion belonging to the Master of Spectrum City, the evil spirit Uralis.

As the moon set down on the horizon, I finally arrived to Spectrum with Selena and Lumi. It was hard to count the days inside the Demon World where day did not differ much from night, but the journey from the Ancient Battlefield to Spectrum City took approximately two weeks to complete, longer than I predicted.

Carrying Lumi was more of a burden than I thought, slowing down our travelling speed by around 20%. I wasn't regretful though, because I was constantly improving under her teachings.

"Remember, do not talk without my authorization." I warned them while looking around for an Inn.

Right now, I had completely changed my appearance to a middle-aged guy with short, smooth black hair and boring gray eyes, a pretty ordinary look for a male demon. Diamond Body was also useful for these body modifications, saving me the trouble to hide my face.

Lumi and Selena were the main problem, as they could not just transform their faces and their beauty was too eye-catching. They were both in my right and left side, wearing long black cloaks over their clothes and covering their mouths and noses with improvised veils made of poor materials.

I just hoped that no one would pay too much attention to their eyes and notice how they resembled precious jewels.

Fortunately, spirits were in general not interested on physical beings and simply ignored our party.

"My Lord, that seems to be an Inn." Lumi pointed at a shabby building with a billboard saying 'The Big Ghost'.

I was a bit fed up with the rain and decided to see if they had free rooms. I entered the Inn and it surprisingly had a cosy atmosphere, the temperature obviously warmer than outside. There weren't many people inside, but I assumed it to be normal at the end of the day.

True to its name, the Inn's owner was a 3 meter tall ghost with a large beard and half of his neck missing, probably from his body's original death.

"What can I get for the guests?" The ghost asked while looking extremely bored.

"Do you have a room for three people?"

The owner did not even blink before quickly answering.

"No, only rooms for two or one individuals."