Chapter 3: The Parenting Advice

Oscar: KEEP MY WIFE'S NAME OUT YOUR FREAKING MOUTH!!!

Marty: I'M GOING TO!!! OKAY?!

Pio: *wheezes* Oh no, he won't!

*KNOCK KNOCK*

Pio: Come in!!!

Mario came in.

Mario: Hey, Dad

Mario: Hey, Dad.

Pio: Hello, Mario! You alright, son?

Mario: A bit... Listen, I need...

Pio: Hang on a minute, have you seen this viral video of this Fish slapping a Zebra?

Mario: Yes, I have. Oscar from 'Shark Tale' was slapping Marty from 'Madagascar' because he made a offensive joke or something... 

Marty: Wow... Oscar just smacked the Sugar Honey Iced Tea out of me...

...

Pio: So, what brings you here?

Mario: I need you help about how to raise a baby.

Pio: Is that a baby in your hand?! AM I A GRANDPA NOW?!?!?!

Mario: N- No, It's...

Pio: Your wife is half-way through her pregnancy! Did you use a plunger on her?

Mario: Why does everybody keep saying that I used a plunger on Meggy?

...

Pio: Anyways, what is that?

Mario: It's a baby doll, I took a Prenatal Class yesterday and I'm doing a project, at the moment.

Pio: Ah, right.

Mario: Remember when you said that you want parenting advice back on New Year's Eve?

Pio: Yeah?

Mario: Well... I might need some advice.

Doll: *crying noises* Waaa!!!

Mario: Ah, Christ...

Pio: Give me the doll! Let's see if I can help.

Mario gives the doll to Pio.

Pio: Shh! Now, now, now, now, now! Come on, come on, come on! Shh! Shh! Shh!

The doll stops making noises.

Mario: Bloody hell, you've got the touch!

Pio: Well, if you have a little of your own... you have to learn something.

Mario: Okay?

Pio: Stick the kettle on, if you want a cup of Tea.

Mario: Nah, I won't be here long... Can I have a chat about raising a child?

Pio: If want a chat... then, come into the garden and let's sit on my chatting bench.

In the garden...

Mario: Listen Dad, is being a new parent gonna be a pain in the ass?

Pio: Well, when I was your age... you did poop a lot. And Luigi cried a lot.

Mario: Is that bad?

Pio: But, the thing is... it takes real skill to know what you are doing.

Mario: I kinda know that... Now, I'm trying to do everything by the book, but I'm worried I might screw that up. I was going insane when this doll cried over-night!

Pio: It's okay to be worried, there is actually a routine that might wanna get used to.

Mario: Really?

Pio: Everyday, you're gonna have to expect crying all of the time, you'll have to change nappies if they poop and you might get tired all of the time.

Mario: Right...

Pio: If they cry... it might also mean they are hungry for milk. But, they'll have to be breast-fed until they're about a month old. By then, they'll switch to formula.

Mario: What's that?

Pio: You use formula powder and water, and then... you mix them together. But, it's important to check the temperature.

Mario: And?

Pio: And, most importantly... after you fed them, you have to make them burp by leaning them forward slightly, and with your free hand, gently rub or pat their backs.

Mario: What about if they need sleep?

Pio: Newborns usually sleep about 14 - 17 hours a day. They also go through sleep-cycles, each newborn sleep cycle has both active sleep and quiet sleep, and takes about 40 minutes.

Mario: But what if they wake up during the night?

Pio: Just try to do what I did.

Doll: *crying noises* Waaa!!!

Pio: Try what I did.

Mario: Shh! Shh! Come on, come on, come on! That's it, that's it!

The doll stops crying.

Pio: That's it!

Mario: To be honest, that actually felt quite good.

Pio: So, are you ready to become a Dad, now?

Mario: Hopefully.

Pio: If need any more help, you know who to go to.

Mario: Thanks, Dad.

*HUG*

When Mario was leaving...

Mario: Am I getting better?

Peach: Grade C means you're getting there!